Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#181 2006-10-07 19:18:59

hakjoon
Website

Re: hak_tinymce WYSIWYG article editor

I use the plugin with Camino (browser of choice) without any issues and it loads fast enough for me anyway. There is a bug with FF that never turns off the loading message even though it’s fully loaded. It will work just fine though. Hopefully Moxiecode will fix that.

Safri support is very new as Safari only gained a Midas-like interface sometime after the initial Tiger release so the implimentation is fairly young still. You can keep it from loading in Safari through the browsers directive.

I will tell you about this plugin though – the image handling is awesome – but at the same time it generates XHTML so you can’t change, for example, the alt tag for an image in the images tab and have it reflected in your article as you could with <txp:image />. Likewise it generates absolute URL’s (don’t know if this is configurable) so if you move the domain you will have to fix your URL’s by hand (unlike <txp:site_url />).

I’m glad you like the image tool :) I’m hoping to at some point use something like <txp:image /> or soemthing for the images but TinyMCE hates tags with colons so I need to find a way around it. Also something that would allow the end user to see the image in the editor but that would generate a txp tag when saved.

As far as the absolute URLs for the images that is just the default setting, since it’s the simplest out of the box to reliably get working. TinyMCE supports a whole URL rewriting system that should allow you to get what you want. The Document_base_url directive is automatically set to <txp:site_url /> but it can be overriden in the init strings if desired.

Problems: if you paste in text from Word for example, it will preserve (!) the formatting (dunno if this is configurable either). Which means if you were using header 1’s, lists, bold and italics (converted to strong and em i imagine) than it will save you a lot of time pasting your content into TXP. But practically speaking, you or your client probably wasn’t using the correct formatting, which means you will have to correct the differences by hand (or first convert the document to text-only). It also allows the client to set their own formatting with align, color, etc.. that may clash with your CSS – although you can configure which and how the buttons appear on the interface and what they do.

There is a paste plugin that will try to cleanup content pasted from Word. In IE it does a pretty good job. Haven’t tested it as much in FF.

Also you can control what tags and attributes are allowed in your source through the valid_elements,
extended_valid_elements, invalid_elements directives.

I highly recommend checking out the manual if you haven’t.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#182 2006-10-08 02:23:49

moloko
Website

Just installed this on a fresh tp install and it works great.

#183 2006-10-18 20:11:03

LeeUmm
Website

Okay I just noticed in IE, the textarea is bringing up my actual website template as seen here – http://www.shiftideas.com/stuff/txp.gif

It’s loading all the elements in the textarea box and allows me to change them as well. I’ve upgraded to txp 4.0.4 but I don’t know if that’s the issue as I never use IE so I just might not have noticed before.

This only happens on the first load, refresh fixes the problem, however I do notice the whole thing loading in the box at first but then disappears.

Here are the settings I’m using:

theme : “advanced”,
language : “en”,
convert_fonts_to_spans : “true”,
plugins : “table,txpimage,contextmenu,paste”,
theme_advanced_buttons1 : “bold,italic,removeformat,numlist,bullist,justifyleft,justifycenter,justifyright,justifyfull”,
theme_advanced_buttons2 : “link,unlink,separator,image,separator,table,replace,separator,cut,copy,paste,pasteword,selectall,separator,code,separator,formatselect”,
theme_advanced_buttons3 : “”,
theme_advanced_toolbar_location : “top”,
theme_advanced_toolbar_align : “left”,
height:“420”,
content_css : “/includes/adminstyle.css”,
relative_urls : false,
remove_script_host : true,
paste_use_dialog : true,
paste_auto_cleanup_on_paste : true,

The adminstyle.css is a stripped down version of my stylesheet.

I’m also using the tiny_mce_gzip.php file if that is of importance.

#184 2006-10-19 16:56:11

hakjoon
Website

I’m trying to see if i can replicate this, so far no luck. I’m going to try it with the gzip compressor see if that’s the culprit.

#185 2006-10-19 19:18:06

jelle

Feature request/idea: selecting a file download from the textpattern backend when creating links. Just like txpimage does for images.

#186 2006-10-19 19:22:36

hakjoon
Website

I’m planning on creating a txplink tool like txpimage which will allow you to pick files and articles when creating links. If anyone has any interface ideas or mackups they are welcome.

#187 2006-10-19 19:26:05

jelle

wow…cool. (great mind think alike, haha). I was thinking about this just today. I figured it like this: the current link-dialog with 2 extra dropdowns: filecategory and filename. Selecting a file automatically fills the link text.

#188 2006-10-21 00:40:25

LeeUmm
Website

hakjoon wrote:

I’m trying to see if i can replicate this, so far no luck. I’m going to try it with the gzip compressor see if that’s the culprit.

I reinstalled with the latest version of tiny_mce and everything seems to work now. I’m no longer using the gzip method since as of today they’ve changed the way it works I believe and its been rewritten. I don’t want to hack around with the code as I’ve got it working fine now.

I’d also love to see a way to insert file links in the same way the image browser works. I was going to request that feature once I had this all working again properly. It would make things a lot easier on my clients instead of having to copy and paste code back and forth.

#189 2006-10-21 19:28:55

hakjoon
Website

So are you using version 2.0.7 of TinyMCE? I haven’t had a chance to test that version out yet to see if anything breaks.

#190 2006-10-21 19:44:39

LeeUmm
Website

Yes I’m using 2.0.7. Everything seems to work as far as I can tell. You can see from my above post which plugins/toolbars’ buttons I’m using.

The only thing that seems to have changed like I mentioned is gzip. I haven’t spent too much time with it, but from what I can tell I’d have to hack your source to get gzip to work from what I can remember.

In future versions, if you could maybe incorporate it into the plugin and give an option to use it, that would be fantastic. For now though, I don’t mind using the regular .js script.

#191 2006-10-22 01:56:54

hakjoon
Website

I had not really looked into the compressor before and didn’t realize that it used a different init() function. Should be fairly easy to add the ability to accomodate it. I have a small update that I’m finishing to correct some visual changes in 4.0.4 so I’ll see if I add it to that.

If I can get it to download. Why does sourceforge only have one mirror tfor it and it’s in Europe.

#192 2006-11-03 00:55:45

mrdale
Website

Hi Hak. Big thanks. I use this on every site.

A while back I mentioned the idea of making the editor default to p-tags. Right now it defaults to no tags if you drop your cursor in and start typing. It would cut down on a lot of user hand holding.

Any thoughts?

Board footer