Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-11-24 13:35:53

alexandra

Plugin Request: improving zem_contact for money

Hi all,
since zem_contact is a very handsome and often needed plugin for clientsites but still full of little bugs, i wonder if some programmer (may be even zem himself) could updated the latest version of the plugin, iron out hte little bugs and add some features?

I am sure, there are enough people around who would donate a couple of bugs to pay a programmer.

Okay, here is my question: Who (programmer) would do the job for how much money?

Who would donate how much to pay the programmer?
( I would donate)

Last edited by alexandra (2005-11-24 13:38:17)

#2 2005-11-24 16:20:58

squaredeye
Website

Re: Plugin Request: improving zem_contact for money

I would contribute to a ransom for this one :)

#3 2005-11-24 18:01:50

Niconemo

Yep ! Even in a basic use of this plugin I have a few issues : checkboxes not validating (even in XHTML transitionnal : only a missing “/”), encoding problems in the e-mail… So I would contribute too at my level (which is not high these days, alas)

Nico

#4 2005-11-24 19:54:25

datafirm
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Do you have a list of the features/bugs you are looking to have fixed. Maybe people on this list would be happy to take care of some of them :)

#5 2005-11-25 03:13:30

aslsw66
Website

I am working on upgrading my implementation of zem_contact that allows for:

1. defining your own subject line as a tag attribute.
2. multiple target email addresses selected by the user with a drop-down select box ie. send to fred or jane from the one form.

Number 2 is taking a bit of time to think through multiple problems – I’m alright at defining the problem but I’m sure there are better PHP programmers than me out there as I have hardly ever touched the stuff. I’m sure I’m making some mistakes along the way – if it works for me I’ll be happy enough but that falls far short of releasing it for others to use.

So, if there is someone with good skills who is willing to pick up all of these little issues and produce the next version of this brilliant plugin, it would be a good outcome for all of us.

#6 2005-11-27 03:53:58

creativesplash
Website

Finally! aslsw66, it would be really useful for the community (if you manage to pull it off). Many of us have been waiting for an update for a long time now! I wish you good luck in updating this plugin!!

“Take a point, stretch it into a line, curl it into a circle, twist it into a sphere, and punch through the sphere.”

— Albert Einstein

#7 2005-11-27 21:36:05

creativesplash
Website

Okie. <a href=“http://creativesplash.net/file_download/1”>Here is my copy</a> of zem_contact which includes all the mods (discussed in many different threads- I dont remember which ones. I’ll search for them and i’ll post back.)

Major mods included are…

1) <code><txp:zem_contact mailsubject=“Enquiry for Product 1” mailto=“name@yourmail.com”></code>
which means that you can use a customized subject for your feedback forms.

2) <code><txp:zem_contact_secret label=“Hidden Field Label”>Hidden Field Value</txp:zem_contact_secret></code>. With this you can send hidden stuff to yourself or your client through zem contact. I havent figured out its use (but it is there anyway).

3) After successfully submitting the form the script will redirect itself to a thank you page. (the hard-coded default is “http://yourdomain.com/thankyou”. You can change this setting in line number 66.

4) No validation errors as far as “XHTML 1.0 Transitional” doc types are concerned.

I’m using this successfully in a txp 4.02 installation with absolutely no errors so far. I’m wont guarantee it will be “all-clean”. If there are any errors we will try and work it out together :)

Good luck :)

Last edited by creativesplash (2005-11-27 22:00:41)

“Take a point, stretch it into a line, curl it into a circle, twist it into a sphere, and punch through the sphere.”

— Albert Einstein

#8 2005-11-28 02:42:25

aslsw66
Website

Creativesplash

Did I say that I’m not a PHP coder?

I managed to get the customisable subject working fine. Thus armed with a false sense of ability, I then attempted to implemented user-selectable email addresses. The idea was that the user would be presented with a list of possible names to mail to, and the selection would then be used to choose from a list of target email addresses.

The concept was to take the select box functionality as the starting point. I have managed to get a drop-down box to appear, and with debugging I can see the email address is chosen. But I’m struggling with understanding how to pass that variable back to the main form processing functionality – the method I was using was failing continuously.

Any ideas? I’ll be hitting the PC again tonight to play some more.

As for your changes, thinking about item (3), wouldn’t it be possible to specify the thankyou page as an attribute of the zem_contact tag?

#9 2005-11-28 03:04:39

squaredeye
Website

Thanks for working on this guys.
Let me know if you need beta testing.

Matthew

#10 2005-11-28 04:36:31

creativesplash
Website

@aslsw66

:) I’m not a coder myself. I complied the corrections from different places in the forum. The only addition <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=60588”>I contributed</a> was the <code>zem_contact_secret</code> which can be done by anybody who knows basic html. :) I posted my code for those people who are in a hurry.

E-mail me the code and i’ll try working on the stuff. I’m not too sure if I can solve the prob. But, i’ll try.

— Albert Einstein

#11 2005-11-28 04:46:36

aslsw66
Website

creativesplash

My last attempt stopped working altogether. I’ll grab your version and extend from there, get it to a point where I know what is going wrong and then email it to you later tonight or tomorrow.

#12 2005-11-28 07:57:56

Niconemo

Fantastic ! Thank you all !

All issues I’ve met seems to be corrected with creativesplash yesterday’s copy.

I just have to find out how to deal with the new /thankyou page, but I guess it won’t be hard to do (I’ll dig for the messages explaining that function).

Waiting for the final plugin to come…
Thank you again. :-)

Last edited by Niconemo (2005-11-28 07:58:22)

Nico

Board footer