Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-11-03 05:44:10

Nathan Smith
Website

Textile Parsing in Comments

4.0.2 allows for full parsing of everything in the comments, including H1, H2, LI, etc. This doesn’t make sense, because an H1 does not belong within an LI, not to mention many people have their sites laid out with headers having a distinctive look that they’d probably rather not be available for guests to comment with. Does anyone know how to force comments to be parsed the way they used to be?

Last edited by Nathan Smith (2005-11-03 05:44:38)

Are we all figments of God’s imagination?

#2 2005-11-03 06:48:29

nardo

Re: Textile Parsing in Comments

personally – much appreciate this change to comment handling (on some sites, comments are extended replies and continuations of the original post, and require rich formatting), but see your point …

you could enclose all comments in a container that provided cascaded styles for headers, etc … and I guess the extra work is rewarded by typographic niceness available to commenters too

#3 2005-11-03 16:03:10

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ve noticed that you can’t use “=” or < code>< /code> around a TXP tag in comments. The tag comes up blank, and in the first example, displays the “=”. There might not be a widespread requirement for this in comments however, as my comment here shows, I will probably require this functionality quite regularly and it would give a more “professional” finish to the comment than having to use something like “txp:excerpt”.

Last edited by thebombsite (2005-11-03 16:05:48)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#4 2005-11-03 16:44:58

Nathan Smith
Website

So, I guess we just live with the changes, and hope our guests are polite enough not to throw in extra headers via Textile? I couldn’t resist, so I tested it out on Jared’s site…

http://www.jaredigital.com/article/130/textpattern-clean-rss-feeds-feed-updates#c000509

In my opinion, this 4.0.2 update has been 2 steps forward, but 1 step back. Error handling is to die for, but these funky Textile quirks in comments are a bit of an annoyance.

Last edited by Nathan Smith (2005-11-03 16:53:55)

#5 2005-11-03 19:52:33

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Hi Nathan,

you can control everything in CSS as far as presentation goes. So you can make headers look just like regular text within the comments.

If you would like to totally prevent headers from being used in the comments, I suggest you make a request for a plugin, which checks for incoming comments, and modifies the body of the comment, before textpattern does it’s thing. It’s doable.

#6 2005-11-03 20:00:11

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Any ideas on my minor problem above Sencer?

Stuart

#7 2005-11-03 20:14:45

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

we strip-tag the comment to prevent XSS attacks. I don’t have a suggestion for you at this point.

#8 2005-11-03 20:21:10

Nathan Smith
Website

#9 2005-11-03 20:24:32

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

OK thanks Sencer. No problem. I can get along with it as it is but it would simply “look better” if I could place the full tag in there.

Stuart

#10 2005-11-04 02:38:31

Anark

The blockquotes were overdue, the p tags look a lot better to me than the old double breaks, even though they pose some compatibility issues with old-style comments. As for the headings: who will ever know unless you tell them? Much as I appreciate its being around myself, I don’t expect Textile will ever become generally used.

Which brings me to the next point: Textile isn’t my first choice for comment formatting to begin with: Blogger, Movable Type, Wordpress (And probably Expression Engine and all the rest) use sanitised HTML for comment formatting. Like it or not, sanitised HTML is a de facto standard in this business. It’s what people expect. It’s what Jane and John Blow use.

Why is it the TextDrive forum, unlike this forum, doesn’t have Textile activated? I’d assume it’s because BBCode is a de facto standard in the message board business, and TextDrive didn’t wish to foist Textile on its clients.

So why do Textpattern users, whose readers and commenters are just as likely — in fact more likely than TexttDrive residents — to be unfamiliar with Textile, why do Textpattern users have to foist Textile on their readers?

Sanitised HTML has come up before. It’d be nice if someone could write the plugin.

#11 2005-11-04 15:08:33

jaredigital
Website

Anark, I fully agree with you. I want my commenters to have a useful but limited range of HTML tags at their disposal, not the entire gamut of Textile code.

#12 2005-11-04 15:32:57

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

While I don’t have any issue with the requests being made, when I read language like this

why do Textpattern users have to foist Textile on their readers?

It makes we want to ignore the posts and move on. Honestly, less drama+rethoric and more constructiveness goes a long way…

If somebody wants to start a plugin, I would suggest catching the comment upon submit translating all known and “clean” tags to their equivalent in textile (Disallow by default, and only allow what we explicitly know to be safe), and then passing the modified comment-body on to let Txp handle the rest.

Be aware that every software that uses html-sanitation to let users post, has had problems with XSS-vulnerability in the past (either due to insufficient filtering or due to browser’s rendering bugs). Several of the phpBB updates were due to related issues, and also Wordpress was exposed to this, and many, many more. Just something to keep in mind when using/developing something like this. (Filtering is hard)

Last edited by Sencer (2005-11-04 16:04:28)

Board footer