Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-09-26 00:55:23

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

TXP Template Competition

Just when you thought it was safe to go to sleep the TXP Template Competiton hits the street again. There are many out there who signed DavidM’s pledge, including me, and as yet none of us have fulfilled it. This time I personally would like to see a little more action and a lot less waffle so let’s keep this thread as short as possible and get to the point which is to produce some great original layouts which TXP users would be proud to decorate their sites with.

During the last week or so I have been going through Siverts layouts and ensuring that they will work with TXP 4.0.1, no great shakes, mostly just changing some of the id and class names to match the current default page template and adding some odd bits to style new stuff like the “Thank You” message. Whilst I’ve been doing that I’ve also created a test site to show off the layouts in a “live” situation. The method I’ve used is very simple but it has one excellent benefit to designers – you can use your own page template! Note though that I say template and not templates. You can only have one page template. It will have to suffice for both article_list and individual_article views. I don’t see that as a major draw-back, I do it all the time, and there would be no “About” or “Contact” pages to view. You can add the links to your sidebars or horizontal navs but they will have to link to the top of the page something like “/#”.

You would also be able to modify your forms. Now I’m not saying you should create forms willy-nilly. Any code that does not specifically require a form should remain in the page template however things like comment, comment_form, comment_display, article forms etc that HAVE to be forms can be modified no problem. As for naming them it would be ideal if everybody used identical names though these names should be different to the default names. I would suggest simply adding something like “comp” on the front so compcomment, compcomment_form, compcomment_display, compdefault etc.

At this stage I haven’t really thought about whether plug-ins should be used or not. I don’t have a problem with them but a lot of them haven’t been updated yet and some are throwing wobblies so it may be better to avoid them. I leave it up to you but as I said earlier I don’t want a 6 week discussion about it. I would like to see new, original layouts sitting on Textgarden for all to see and download by Christmas at the latest. In fact I think that would make an ideal deadline.

OK you can have your say now. :)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#2 2005-10-10 22:20:32

alicson
Website

Re: TXP Template Competition

instead of a Textgarden template submission competition — which is a great idea besides — how about a pageant for the existing Textpattern templates?

We could vote for our favorites, showcase the most popular template(s) on the front, and a couple months from now, once more people are familiar with Textgarden.org and with how to easily skin their Textpattern sites, then we could hold a new contest and challenge template gurus and newbies alike to be creative and original and develop new styles.

just a suggestion..

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#3 2005-10-10 22:54:45

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Actually that’s a very good suggestion thank you. I shall get the “previewing” into a live situation first then we need to get all the existing templates onto TextGarden. You do realise I have about another 30 styles I haven’t published here?

Stuart

#4 2005-10-10 23:14:43

alicson
Website

haha. yea. you do have a lot of styles.. which will be all the more awesome when there’s an easy way to preview them. some of the new ones you’ve ported recently are really beautiful.

a preview engine will be wonderful.. thumbnail galleries and thumbnail visual navigation may be good things too.

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#5 2005-10-11 09:44:16

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’m retaining the current thumbnail navigation as is and I’ve added thumbnails linked to full-scroll screen shots in the individual articles for my own styles as I just happen to have those available. ;) I’ve now added a preview to the “TXP Almost Spring” style and will work my way through the rest. This again will only be for my styles as I just happen to have the required resources.

“Guests” will only be able to add styles in the manner to which they have become accustomed. If they want me to add a demo they will need to send me the relevant bits which are the template(s), images and CSS. There can only be one demo URL which is either at TextGarden or at their own site. I’ll modify the information on the article editing page to reflect this. I’m not too happy with that page. I’m thinking of adding the “notes” plug-in and having instructions the way you have them at the Resources site. Any thoughts on that?

Stuart

Board footer