Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-10-31 19:42:12

maniqui
Website

Re: upm_textile_toggle: Toggle default Textile setting for excerpts.

I have two questions about this plug-in, that maybe, the answer, should be added to the first post.

1. Wich is the idea behind disable textile in excerpt? I mean, if someone feels comfortable using textile in the article’s body, why he/she wouldnt want to use textile in the excerpt?
    If someone doesnt use textile in excerpt, he/she will need to add the necesary HTML for the excerpt (it can be added in the same excerpt or can be added in the article form, <code><p><txp:excerpt /></p></code>). Do I explain myself or am I asking a dumb question?
  2. Suppose I want to use this nice plug-in and so, I get textile disable for excerpts. But one day, for an article, I want to write an excerpt using Textile. So I enable textile in the excerpt for that article and write the excerpt including some textile mark-up. Until that point, everything is ok. <br />Then, few months later, I want to edit a missed comma in that article. So I click in the article to edit it, add the comma and save it. But the problem is that when I clicked the article to edit it, the upm_textile_excerpt_off has turn-off textile for the excerpt in that article (without i notice it of course, that is the “issue” i’m talking about). <br />So, all my textile mark-up in the excerpt is displayed when viewing the article.

<p>I also apply this to my “mod”, that disables textile for the article too.
If I want to use Textile in an article, I enable it, write the article using Textile, then save it. Few months later, I want to edit a comma, but the plug-in “silently” disables Textile, and when I save it, tuc! the article is displayed with all my textile mark-up.</p>

Ok, one should check in the Preview subtab and also in the website that the article is being displayed as expected…

Last edited by maniqui (2005-10-31 21:47:18)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2005-10-31 20:55:12

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

1. I dunno, it was asked for. Yes.
  2. There was no way to check for that. Its an actual setting in the database now, not in the stable but the svn version. Which is why I think this should revert to a simple patch, rather than a plugin.

#15 2005-10-31 21:46:50

maniqui
Website

I ask:
<blockquote>Do I explain myself or am I asking a dumb question?</blockquote>

You reply:
<blockquote>1. I dunno, it was asked for. <strong>Yes</strong>.</blockquote>

I explained myself and I also asked a dumb question. :D
That’s me!
At least, I explained myself.
Thanks, mary.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#16 2005-10-31 22:44:14

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Ak! now that’s not what I meant! that was to “…will need to add the necesary HTML…”

#17 2005-11-02 05:56:02

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Plugin has been updated to work for 4.0.2.

#18 2006-03-10 11:38:37

hanz

hi mary,

maybe i’m stupid, maybe i’m blind, but i have to tell you, what i can’t find…
it’s you’re plugin what i’m looking for.
here textpattern/plugin they say its “abandoned”, sounds scary, and here “http://www.upm-plugins.com/” it’s not listed.
i managed to get the ‘p’ tags away with the admin, but i wish i don’t have to do it for every single article.

please help a newbie!

thanx, hanz

Last edited by hanz (2006-03-10 11:41:36)

#19 2006-03-10 13:13:43

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Plugin got renamed, here’s where you can find it.

Abandoned means just that: abandoned. As in, I’m not currently supporting my past plugins (I’m not actively developing any either). Developing plugins is one thing, supporting them is another entirely and took up a lot of my time. They are free for anyone else to adopt (rename, develop, etc), but it looks like no one’s really interested in doing that. A couple folks decided to “archive” the plugins at upm-plugins, so they’d still be available. That said, this particular plugin is an extremely basic, simple plugin; you shouldn’t have any problems with it.

#20 2006-03-10 13:36:02

hanz

thank you.
the renaming just confused me a bit.

#21 2006-06-09 22:13:41

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

Wich is the idea behind disable textile in excerpt? I mean, if someone feels comfortable using textile in the article’s body, why he/she wouldnt want to use textile in the excerpt?
If someone doesnt use textile in excerpt, he/she will need to add the necesary HTML for the excerpt (it can be added in the same excerpt or can be added in the article form, <code><p><txp:excerpt /></p></code>).

I think the idea is that the excerpt usually has a “Read more..” link which is the permlink to the full article. Normally, one would like that link to appear within the <p> tag of the excerpt, rather than on the following line – the <p> would be generated by the form as you have suggested. Now, I think the admin side of Textpattern is pretty accessible to the average client – but all those little things (having to open advanced prefs, rollover images to see their ID, etc..) perhaps make it seem more confusing or prone to error. So, if I can avoid having the client having to remember to turn off Textile for excerpts – or for there to have to be any additional steps in the process really – I certainly will choose to have it that way. Anyway, I think that is the explanation behind the plugin and while I still find it a very useful resource!

Last edited by rloaderro (2006-06-09 22:14:54)

Travel Atlas * Org | Start Somewhere

#22 2006-06-10 23:57:13

nardo

I use this plugin on a site where the excerpt field is used for the meta description … and u don’t want paragraph tags etc in there…

#23 2006-10-19 20:56:47

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

v.0.5

#24 2010-03-05 21:51:00

alanfluff
Website

Lovely! Thanks for this plugin.

For the first time ever, I edited the code of a plugin (I know this is ‘small-beer’ for many, but for me it’s a step I’ve never taken).

I just wanted to share in case it’s helpful for anyone else or in case anyone sees something wrong/dangerous in what I’ve done and is kind enough to let me know.

I simply edited selectedIndex = 2 to selectedIndex = 1 because for a particular site, we needed ‘Convert linebreaks’ as the default for Excerpt formatting.

Hope this is OK and is of some help to someone. Cheers! -Alan

At LAST I’ve cheerfully donated to the core devs at #TXP. I only wish I were able to give more. Thanks to the devs and ALL fellow TXPers. -A

Board footer