Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-08-31 05:35:28

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

upm_textile_toggle: Toggle default Textile setting for excerpts.

upm_textile_toggle
Toggle default Textile setting for excerpts.

Last edited by Mary (2013-01-24 17:02:04)

#2 2005-09-01 17:19:49

rossharvey
Website

Re: upm_textile_toggle: Toggle default Textile setting for excerpts.

Handy little plugin, thanks.

#3 2005-10-26 16:40:31

maniqui
Website

Nice plug-in!
I asked <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=82845”>how to disable Textile per article by default, but also keep “Use Textile” enabled in Site Preferences</a>.
Then, <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/profile.php?id=1327”>doggiez</a> suggested me to use and modify this plug-in. So, I did it! (i’m so happy)

The changes I made are:
<p>After:<br><code>echo n.’&lt;script type=“text/javascript”&gt;document.article.textile_excerpt.checked = false;&lt;/script&gt;’;</code>
I added:<br><code>echo n.’&lt;script type=“text/javascript”&gt;document.article.textile_body.checked = false;&lt;/script&gt;</code>’;</p>

Now, Textile is off in both body article and excerpt, but I can keep the “text”, “html” and “preview” tabs (that was what I was looking for).

Maybe, Mary can release a new version of this plugin with that change (but it wouldnt make sense with the name of the plug-in, that is “textile_excerpt_off”, and my change turn off textile in both article and excerpt).

Or maybe, Mary can help this poor kid (me) to release “mnq_textile_off”, <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=82845#p82845”>his first (and probably unique) plug-in of his life</a>! :D

Last edited by maniqui (2005-10-26 16:40:58)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2005-10-27 06:03:15

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Textpattern version 4.0.2 (should be out in a week) changes how this works.

For those who haven’t seen this version in development, it is now two different dropdown menus, each containing the three choices to format text (as in the admin prefs). The admin pref now defines what the default selection is, but every article remembers the setting you chose for that individual article, including if excerpt is differently formatted than the article.

The only reason for my plugin would be to have it pre-select something different for the excerpt, but I’m thinking it makes more sense for me (or someone) to send in a patch to add a second preference for that. Why have a plugin when its better to complete the default setup? :) What do you guys think?

#5 2005-10-27 14:46:40

maniqui
Website

<blockquote>
The admin pref now defines what the default selection is, but every article remembers the setting you chose for that individual article, including if excerpt is differently formatted than the article. </blockquote>

Does this mean that even if I select to have it disabled by default (in admin prefs) I will still see the text/html/preview subtabs?

If answer is “no”, then I will keep using your plug-in (modded), and enable Textile (globally, in admin prefs) but disabled by the plug-in in each article.

But here is the critic
<blockquote>Why have a plugin when its better to complete the default setup? :) What do you guys think?</blockquote>

I think there should be an option to “Show text/html/preview subtabs (yes/no)”.

Right now, that option is merged with “Use Textile” (if enabled).
I mean, if I use Textile, the subtabs are showed; if I dont use Textile, they wont be showed.

That makes no sense for me, because I want to keep those subtabs even when I have Textile disabled.

Last, an idea:
in the <em>ideal world</em>, by using HTML Tidy extension for Firefox and having “0 errors / 0 warnings” in Write tab (actually, it show 22 warnings for me, and 1 error <strong style=“text-decoration:underline”><code><p1></code></strong> when in “preview” subtab), the “Preview” sub tab (combined with HTML Tidy extension) could be used as a tool for finding HTML warnings/errors in our articles.
But for that, the warnings/errors in Write subtab should be fixed. What do you think? ;)

#6 2005-10-27 20:14:42

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

They aren’t shown because they are used only by Textile. Otherwise, what you see in your textarea is what you get.

#7 2005-10-27 21:32:50

maniqui
Website

> Otherwise, what you see in your textarea is what you get.

No mary, I think you are wrong:
what I see in the textarea is HTML (that I typed in), and it is not what I get.

What I get can be viewed in the Preview subtab, and that is: the parsed HTML.

I would like to keep typing HTML and keeping the preview tab.

For example:
I’m right now copying and pasting (and typing) some HTML tables (with tabular data, of course) in the textarea.
I have Textile disabled (enabled globally, and disabled in article), but I would like to have my Preview Tab to see that the tables are well-coded.
And the Preview tab is there (but only because Textile is globally enabled).

Last edited by maniqui (2005-10-27 22:42:54)

#8 2005-10-27 22:24:56

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Now that I understand what you’re saying, we’re talking about two different things. It is what you get – as in, not monkeyed with by someone else (Textile) – just not re-escaped in the textarea for editing. I didn’t mean the same as in like a wysiwyg program’s “design” mode (or whatever its called).

Originally (way back) I think they were all there regardless, not sure when the change happened. I think somewhere between g.1.19 and RC1, but I really can’t be certain when or why. You might be able to find something on it in an old forum post perhaps. At a guess I’d say because the thought just hadn’t occured to sit down and figure out which view buttons should be viewable when.

It is simple enough to fix/adjust though. As I said, why have a plugin when its better to complete the default setup?

#9 2005-10-27 23:07:30

maniqui
Website

Aaaaah, ok, ok. Now we are hearing the same radio station!

I hope the option to view the write “html/preview” subtabs in future versions will be separated from the Use textile option, in a “Show text/html/preview subtabs (yes/no)”

Should I add this as a Feature Request?

#10 2005-10-27 23:52:33

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I’ll make these tabs “smarter” in the facelift I’m working on, but you can certainly request this feature. You may find out why it was changed too, maybe there’s a real reason for it.

#11 2005-10-28 00:07:32

maniqui
Website

I will ask for the feature. Thanks, mary.

I have seen the facelift before!
Very very nice!!

Will you share your work or is it just for you?
Aiming high: Is your work going to be implemented in next TXP releases?

BTW: you should be member of the developer team.

Finally, I want to share a secret with you: http://www.midi-midi.com.ar
This is my little company site, managed by TXP (and osCommerce).
I dont often (or better said, I never until right now) share my site link in this forum.
I always think that I need more improvements before posting it in “Let’s see your then”.
But the site is more than 1.5 years!

Why am I sharing “my secret” with you?
Because there are some similarites between your facelift and some styles in my site.
Of course, your is nice!

Finally finally: one of the reasons for not share the link to my site in this forum is because the similarity of the colours between TXP and Midi-midi (my site).
But I swear that I was using those colors before realize that something so incredible as TXP exists.

¡I swear I dont copy any color from TXP site or forum! ¡Believe me!
(well, maybe just one or two colors, but not the main colors).

#12 2005-10-28 00:15:13

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Will you share your work or is it just for you?

Sharing is the idea. Besides, its fun. :)

> “Aiming high: Is your work going to be implemented in next TXP releases?”

I don’t know. I hope that at least some of the concepts of it get rolled in (like scalable font sizes) even if my particular take doesn’t get added verbatim.

And don’t worry, I (and others will) believe you, there aren’t that many colours after all. Sure, there are many shades, but quite a lot are grouped like “light purple”, “dark blue” and so on. There’s no way an obvious coincidence in colour choice would get misconstrued by sane people, since the colours are the only thing even vaguely similar. :)

Board footer