Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2005-11-17 17:59:08

grad

Re: Subsections

davidm, I’ve got a small problem with getting MODx – I can’t download it. They require you to register to download files but then, the register form just doesn’t work. I get JavaScript errors when filling the form. I reported it already and asked for an alternate URL to download from but I got no answer for that. Do you know about any?

#74 2008-04-29 10:58:44

Alfie

Hi, i know this is an old thread and i havn’t read all of it (first 6 pages) but i too would LOVE to see sub sections, 6 months ago i spent over a month trying to work out how to port my static site to TXP, i needed a site struct as follows:

Info
- info sub
- – Info sub sub

More info
- More info sub
— more info sub sub

even more info

EtC ETC

My main aim was still to keep it to a minimum 3 clicks to get to any given info, but if needed i may need more subsections, but in most cases it would be as follows (i know im repeating myself a bit)..

Department
- staff
- – Individual staff details
- contact

now i spent several weeks on these very forums and searching for mods and speaking to experienced TXPers.. i even bought the TXP solutions book (which, gave me a little hope) it mentioned that there where mods available that allowed nested categories to be displayed as navigational links in the same structure. The only problem i had with this was that with a site of over 100 pages, the menu becomes overpowering on the page. what i needed was a dynamic tree menu that when a link was clicked it would display all links within/underneath it (clolapsing/expanding). Unfortunately i didnt find a solution and to this day, despite wanting to use TXP, can’t overcome this problem.

As mentioned before in this post, wordpress does this perfectly, when adding a new page, all you need to do is select where in the links structure you want the page to show up and if placed under another/below another page, the links tree will expand to reveal that page… Unfortunately thats the only good thing I like about.

For a small site with say: about us, contact, our work and home links TXP is amazing, but i CANNOT see how it will work with multi level hierarchical/tree structures.

Also any news on crockery, wasnt available last time i checked?

Alfie

Last edited by Alfie (2008-04-29 11:03:49)

#75 2008-04-29 14:05:09

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Well, for a 3-level structure you could already use section/category/article. Maybe also for 4 or more level, since categories allows nesting.

I got it working on this site in the “programma” section (for the menu I tweaked zoo_section_and_category_list plugin). You could also have clean url, I suppose, with gbp_permanent_links plugin.

Z-

#76 2008-04-29 16:57:04

Alfie

but.. but.. how did you do that! thats exactly what i wanted!!!!!!!!!

i too have used the “zoo_section_and_category_list plugin” but never managed to get it to “contact/expand” as im not that clued up on exactly how txp works yet apart from the basics!!!

Alfie

#77 2008-04-29 22:12:59

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

I used a single basic tag for my nav. Here it is:

<txp:zoo_section_and_category_list wraptag="ul" break="li" active_class="active" cat_class="cat" class="menu" cat_active_class="active" include_default="1" default_title="home" showall="0" label="Menu" labeltag="h4" sections="Home,Programma,Contatti" />

To have this working, you may need my modified version of the plugin, or not. It depends on the actual attributes you use, and if you want the categories in a nested list instead of a flat list as in the original version.

Since all the work has been made by Arne Krueger, I mantained the name and added a ‘b’ in my version. You can download it here.

In the help I tried to explain my modifications. For the scope of our usage, all that matters is that I made the categories appear in a nested list and take care of adding an “active” class to the actual cat list item (and not to the link) and of avoiding autolinks. You can sort the categories in different ways using the new “sort_cat” attribute.

Let me know if this works.

Z-

#78 2008-04-30 08:11:49

Alfie

Amazing, will be trying this out ASAP. Been looking for a solution like this for ages but just cant get my head round coding anything for myself, and i’ve been building websites since i was 12! (now 23).

If this works ill owe you one!

Alfie

Board footer