Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2005-10-11 15:40:27

Deep
Website

Re: Subsections

guyweb – you are gonna make me try wp as CMS haha..the link you have provided has real good info…
I will give it a shot for one of my sites soon ;)

Regards
Deep

[b]Deep Ganatra[/b]
[url=http://www.web1.in]Web Solutions India[/url]

#50 2005-10-11 17:13:26

hakjoon
Website

For mostly Static sites take a look at CMS Made Simple I think it feels a lot like TXP but it’s focused on page based sites (although there is a news module). I’m going to try to use it for my next project that features mostly static pages.

It wouldn’t replace TXP for more dynamic sites but hey it’s always good to have more tools in the toolbox.

Last edited by hakjoon (2005-10-11 19:49:33)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#51 2005-10-11 17:22:14

Deep
Website

hakjoon, you missed “i” simple in the URL

http://www.cssmadesimple.com

[b]Deep Ganatra[/b]

#52 2005-10-11 19:01:27

davidm

Gived it a quick try and didn’t like it personnally… (<del>hakjoon, you forgot the “i” of simple in the url by the way</del> OK Deep already mentionned this… and hey guys let’s link the links not that hard with textile ;-p)

But yeah always good to have more tools in the box as you say… Me I prefered Etomite but I’d have to check the number of hierarchical levels since I didn’t try it in production…

Last edited by davidm (2005-10-11 19:02:27)

.: Retired :.

#53 2005-10-11 20:06:11

hakjoon
Website

> Deep wrote:
> hakjoon, you missed “i” simple in the URL

Oops. That’s what I get for not trying my links.

Davidm, have you tried it recently? They rewrote a ton of the core for 0.10 (I remember not liking it either). The documentation is kind of lacking, but it’s fully setup for multiple content areas per template that are editable in the content edit screen (so main content and sidebar content can be edited together by just adding a {content other=“sidebar”} to you template) which I think is killer when trying to create controlled editable areas for clients, and it is also pretty easy to build new content types or extend existing ones.

Also they have two levels for defining new functionality plugins (tags) and modules. Plugins work just like TXP tags in that they are just PHP functions which are called using smarty tags, and full modules which override functions in the core.

I toned down the wysiwigs and that made the interface much nicer to deal with.

I don’t think overall it’s a elegant as TXP but it has many of the aspects that attract me to Textpattern, with a focus on Static Content page driven sites so it’s a different beast from the more blog oriented tools like WP. I think it could work well for some of the smaller sites I build.

Entomite looks pretty cool though. I’m going to have to check that one out.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#54 2005-10-11 22:06:35

davidm

No I didn’t try it recently (it was 3/4 months ago at least), but what you say will definitely make me try it again ! This kind of templating and tags to invoke plugins is definitely a huge plus, thank you for the update :-) When I came to txp, there wasn’t much doc it’s not a problem for me…

(…) OK I toyed around with the demo for a few minutes and I must say : you’re right indeed ! Thanks a lot for making me change my mind, this one is on my CMS hotlist now. I’ll try 0.10 and even test 0.11 beta…

html blobs seem very much akin to forms in txp. Also, user defined tags you can edit directly from the backend seems a pretty powerful concept. User define plugins seem nice too. Also I like the inline help reminding tags and parameters for each module, really well done.

The backend could use some polishing and I’ll register on the forum to see if I can contribute there once I am more familiar… really a nice CMS.

A long as I am there, forgot to mention WebSiteBaker : aside from a strange and not very flattering name, this CMS also looks promising and very similar to CMS Made Simple by the way…

#55 2005-10-12 01:04:55

zem
Developer Emeritus

Use a true hierarchal categorisazation. This is how much information is organized in the real world.

True hierarchies are rare. Music isn’t organized into artist/album/song in the real world, that’s just one of many useful schemas. (You need a completely different structure for classical recordings, for example, and even then there isn’t a single representation that fits everything)

Most of the work in building hierarchical structures comes from the hacks and addons required to bend trees into the non-tree shapes required to represent real-world data (think symbolic links).

Implementing hierarchical organization in Textpattern is not that difficult (it’s already mostly done for categories). Doing it without painting yourself into a corner is a whole nother problem.

Alex

#56 2005-10-12 03:00:07

enarsson

True hierarchies are rare. Music isn’t organized into artist/album/song in the real world, that’s just one of many useful schemas. (You need a completely different structure for classical recordings, for example, and even then there isn’t a single representation that fits everything)

True. But what I meant to say that hierarchal categorization is one of the most common and easily understood schemas for organization. Therefore it should be good support for it. The same is true for keywords.

I think that the support for hierarchal categories in Textpattern is a good start that one would want to extend further. I also suggest that keywords should be implemented differently so it will be easy to search the database for articles with a specific keyword. I know that the last suggestion might break some current plugins, but I think it for a good cause.

My final suggestion, that “sections” should be replaced with a system where you can style content depending on which “category” it belongs to, might not be easily implemented as it would conflict with the current implementation and the current plugins. However, I do believe that it would be a much cleaner cut between content and presentation and I allow myself for some wishful thinking right now.

(Is it only me that find “hierarchal categorization” very hard to type?) ;-)

#57 2005-10-14 02:34:53

zem
Developer Emeritus

To misquote:

Do, or do not. There is no “should”.

Alex

#58 2005-10-14 02:56:03

enarsson

Do, or do not. There is no “should”.

I agree, and I might contribute later on when I get more into Textpattern. Meanwhile I am quite satisfied by just expressing an opinion. ;-)

#59 2005-10-14 05:48:02

Deep
Website

Zem, as I mentioned in my earlier reply, if some members (incl. me) can pay the required amount then will it be possible to get subsections added?

Thanks
Deep

[b]Deep Ganatra[/b]

#60 2005-11-04 10:45:47

davidm

> hakjoon wrote: Entomite looks pretty cool though. I’m going to have to check that one out.

Forget Etomite : I discovered a much more advanced fork which has definitely caught my attention : MODx

As Adam Crownoble puts it : Actually there are quite a few changes from Etomite. Just to name a few: Template Variables (custom content areas and types) Modules (integrated applications) Plugins (core code extensions) Webusers (and webuser permissions) QuickEdit (frontend editing) Backup manager Updated default content and resources Plus many other enhancements.

As usual, you can test it on opensourcecms.com

I strongly advise you do, this CMS has great features and could fill a gap, and make a great tool for coporate websites.
So far I am impressed in a way I have not truly been since Textpattern, and that in itself is a statement…

Board footer