Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2004-04-07 18:59:57

bjorn
Website

Re: Subsections

Agree with Ray, and thanks for the link, a really good thread that I somehow managed to miss… Structure is important, and people have different ways to go about it. (Like I know that a calendar would probably be a very good and efficient way of keeping your life structured, but I haven’t managed to use one in years. Instead I keep track of things by writing them down on receipts and in notebooks which I constantly loose. But it works for me…)

So being able to have hierarchical sections seem logical for some people, just like hierarchical categories. Neither of them have to be used if you don’t want to. But it would add yet another versitality-silver-star in the margin for textpattern…

#14 2005-02-17 05:19:26

icubyx

so….sub-sections anyone? I miss them too.
Would have loved to come up with a hack myself, but I’m a dummy at writing code :-(

only change is constant

#15 2005-02-21 21:11:39

andreas
Website

I’d support subsections. Would make converting my static site to TXP a lot easier.

#16 2005-02-22 06:22:10

arpan

A site that I am working on right now, would work much better with subsections.

Here is what I am doing for the photo gallery

Gallery index page (galleryindex page template) —lists all the places

—*Place one* (place index page template) —lists all the children with photograph

———Individual child info —has three photographs of the child, with info on whether the child is sponsored —(childinfo template

—*Place two* (place index page template)

———Individual child info

—*Place three* (place index page template)

———Individual child info

—*Place four* (place index page template)

———Individual child info

—*Place five* (place index page template)

———Individual child info

Here subsections would be really useful since I need to apply seperate page templates to the subsection. As far as I know, this is not possible with categories.

I solved this problem, by creating the following sections

—Galleryindex

—place1index

—place2index

—place3index

—place4index

—place5index

—place1child

—place2child

—place3child

—place4child

—place5child

If subsections were allowed, it could have been done the following way:

Gallery

——place1

———child

——place2

———child

——place3

———child

——place4

———child

——place5

——child

Although the number of sections are the same, it would just have been better organized, especially when using clean URLs.

Subsections might not make a huge difference for most sites, but it would make it easier to create more complex sites.

note: I could not use categories for the different gallery pages because they needed different page templates.

I did use categories to specify whether a child was sponsored or not, as that just need me to change the location and a seperate form (used Advanced options -> Override form )

Last edited by arpan (2005-02-22 08:04:51)

#17 2005-02-22 06:30:12

arpan

If subsections do come to textpattern, I think that it would be best if subsections automatically use the setting of the main section ( pagetemplate, CSS ) if nothing is specified.

Then you use custom settings for the subsections only as per requirement.

#18 2005-02-22 07:26:59

Anark

Another vote for sub-sections.

Minus the article id in the URL.

#19 2005-02-25 23:16:30

pospel
Website

Need subsections pretty bad too. For now, it’s one and only serious weakness of TXP. Plain structure is really inflexible.

Vote! Tho thums up! :)

#20 2005-03-09 00:23:18

gionni

yes subsections good!

#21 2005-03-09 01:15:12

zem
Developer Emeritus

RC3 adds some conditional tags that make it possible to display different page content for categories.

Alex

#22 2005-03-09 02:46:54

Jeremie
Website

Another way to go, is the horizontal access. Ok that will be difficult to explain with my english, and it’s quite late here.

Sections are supposed to handle presentation. But in fact, they are used by almost (almost ?) everyone as a first layer of organized content.

Categories are hierarchical, and much more easy to handle and maintain over time. There are still issue with delivering the content (handling of articles in nested categories and so on), but it’s quite good.

But that’s still a one dimension tree. WHo here, put the same article in more than one section ? Well no-one, since you can’t. So basically, sections are just level 0 categories in a tree.

If you want to add a second dimension – and that would be much needed I agree on that 200% – you can use keywords. Not the usual keywords, but a specific list a unique keywords created by the admin (or whatever), that an athor could assign to his ressources (articles and the like).

SPIP does it, and it’s a very, very, very useful tool.

Let’s take a simple example. If I have a website about cars, let’s say I have a section articles (quite original, isn’t it ?) with all the actual real content. Let’s say I will write about car review, making my owns reviews.

So I create a categories tree like :

• europe
    • FIAT
    • Renault
    • BMW
  • USA
    • Ford
    • Pontiac

etc.

It’s still a one dimensionnal website. If a visitor wants to browse through, let’s say SUV, he can’t. Well He can use the search tool, but it’s fulltext… with it’s own limitations.

Now let’s say the admin has set up some “metakeywords” (by default of a better taxonomy), like the type of cars, the manufacturers, the type of engine and fuel, and so on. When the visitor read the article, he can have a list of metakeywords. He just click on the SUV, and he see all the articles (or whatever ressources) with that metakeyword, maybe sorted by categories.

Fast, simple, easy. Really.

Last edited by Jeremie (2005-03-09 02:47:22)

#23 2005-03-09 13:44:45

Anton
Plugin Author
Website

Just a thought: wouldn’t keywords solve some of the matrix related issues/wants some of you are expressing here?

#24 2005-04-08 02:06:32

atrox
Website

I really miss subsections too. At the moment I structure content like this:

Section – Category – Category Sub – Category Another Sub

thatis.com/section/category
thatis.com/section/category sub
thatis.com/section/category another sub

Basically, I can’t really get more then 2 branches on this tree. It would be lovely to have ability to build more complex structures:

Section – Category – - Sub Category – - Another Sub Category

thatis.com/section/category/
thatis.com/section/category/sub/
thatis.com/section/category/sub/another one

Board footer