#31 2020-01-05 22:31:44

Bloke
Developer
Website

Re: Articles / snippets that have no URL + don't show in feeds

FWIW, I think the article convention we have is nice:

• A thing.
  • In a section.
  • With a given URL (that we may or may not permit to be optional to ‘hide’ it from the main flow and divert this list of content elsewhere to be managed).
  • With a title.
  • With an (optional, but likely-to-be-populated) block of body content.
  • An optional excerpt.
  • Some additional metadata fields, that are at the discretion of the site designer.

That, to me, is Textpattern’s strength. It doesn’t require you to build entire page structures before you can use any of this stuff because the content type is largely pre-defined. If you have to start defining content types, you get into all sorts of bother as jakob says, just like WP have with the guttenberg fiasco.

That’s not to say we can’t allow you in some future version to define your own content types or tweak the baked-in ones to taste, I’m just saying I don’t think we should get rid of the core types because they serve a very useful purpose: they allow you to Just Write.

The notion of what happens to included content in terms of search is an interesting one. I don’t have an answer to that. Will require some thought.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer