Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-03-16 02:42:09

Destry
Website

[observation] ID numbers in context of editing panels

This is one of those things I always come up against but forget to mention, until now…

I frequently find myself in the Write panel or in the Images panel in context of a specific image (image upload view) and need to know the ID number of the thing I’m looking at; usually because I have another tab open where I’m writing a Txp Form or whatever and need a quick reference to the ID value. But having to click out of the tabs I already have open instead of just a quick peek in where I’m already at, always seems roundabout to me.

It could be a lot more convenient if the IDs of what you were looking at were actually in context of the same view.

In the Write panel, it could appear at the top of the page, just to the right of the Preview tab. If it’s a new article, no ID. Simple.

For the Images, it could be similar, somewhere, but in context of the actual image field data.

2 cents.

#2 2016-03-16 05:25:28

joebaich
Website

Re: [observation] ID numbers in context of editing panels

Using

Article and Image IDs displayed in context of Write page and Image page. That’s what you mean, right?

#3 2016-03-16 06:10:00

gomedia
Plugin Author

Yes, this is a perennial favourite. There are adi_plugins that might smooth the path of life:

• adi_image_tab
  • adi_file_tab
  • adi_article_tab

Or perhaps more useful for workflow: adi_recent_tab.
Apologies for lack of links … am travelling.

#4 2016-03-16 12:34:37

Destry
Website

Ah, deja vu. Thanks.

I’m using wet_article_info, but maybe I should try the heavier hitter.

Robert’s just puts a body and excerpt word count (no IDs) at bottom of Write panel. I actually like the simplicity of wet’s version. Or, more accurately, I’ve gotten pretty used to it. The info is out of the way, but there when I need it for quick reference. I refer to the word counts a lot.

I can’t imagine it’s a big deal to put in core a little spot at the bottom of these panels (or wherever Phil thinks is best), for word counts and ID numbers. Robert’s plugin outputs this under the “Last modified by” date info:

2679 words (2673 + 6)

All I would need, for example, is…

ID 147 : 2679 words (2673 + 6)

An ID by the image file name field for Images panel would be reasonable.

#5 2016-03-16 12:52:06

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@ Destry,

I’m with you there. I’m using wet_info for my personal use and it is excellent (though I wish it added the article ID, as you note). The equivalent for the Image panel would be more than welcome (and more generally a better way to quickly build the URL to embed the image). Prompted by this thread, I revisited the other options noted above, and all are kinda overkill for my / our use.

Perhaps you should file a feature request on github? I certainly would vote for it (hmm – no way to “vote” for such on Github, except by spamming the thread by adding a “+1” comment…).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#6 2016-03-16 12:58:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #298306:

the info is out of the way, but there when I need it for quick reference.

smd_article_stats has a preference for you to decide where on the panel you display it. Beneath the excerpt is one of them. And you can customise the word counts to include custom fields if you like. All configurable.

I can’t imagine it’s a big deal to put in core a little spot … for word counts and ID numbers.

Yes, but it’s the expectation of accuracy and whether to update them in realtime that’s the kicker. Which is why it’s historically been left to plugins. One man’s word is another man’s sentence :-)

An ID by the image file name field for Images panel would be reasonable.

That I would be in favour of. It’s a pain to have to rely on looking in the URL bar (which some browsers now annoyingly hide) to find which image ID is being edited. Leave that with me. A trivial one-line change I think. Same for the Files panel too, right?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2016-03-16 13:03:11

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #298309:

smd_article_stats has a preference for you to decide where on the panel you display it. Beneath the excerpt is one of them. And you can customise the word counts to include custom fields if you like. All configurable

Aside – you’d need to push out a small update to take into account the new IDs for the sidebar blocks on 4.6, ATM that part doesn’t work.

#8 2016-03-16 13:04:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #298310:

Aside – you’d need to push out a small update to take into account the new IDs for the sidebar blocks on 4.6, ATM that part doesn’t work.

Good call, I’ll do that, thanks for the reminder. There are a few other changes for 4.6 too like the new PLUGIN_PREF constants that need doing. I’ll make a branch for now.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2016-03-16 14:20:25

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #298309:

One man’s word is another man’s sentence :-)

I like that. I’m gonna use it.

#10 2016-03-18 05:31:44

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

#11 2016-03-18 07:28:11

Destry
Website

+1
+1

Board footer