Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-09-26 15:13:20

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Better way to upload media

I think we need to find a better way to get media into the system, as part of core.

At it’s most basic level, the upload form should be able to handle multiple files selected at once, to batch upload.

#2 2013-09-26 19:04:58

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Better way to upload media

I would like to see the ability to use additional folders in addition to the default one. And not to have file names replaced by numerals

…. texted postive

#3 2013-09-26 21:51:18

tye
Website

+ lots

#4 2013-10-02 17:02:29

robhert
Website

I would like to see that too. That would be awesome!!!

#5 2013-10-02 18:00:43

candyman

+1

#6 2013-10-02 18:22:34

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

+1

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2013-10-02 19:09:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

At it’s most basic level, the upload form should be able to handle multiple files selected at once, to batch upload.

And when we recut the Images panel to build in a grid layout (I wanna do this sooner rather than later, btw) I’d like to refactor some of the functions so they can be reused from the Write panel to pop up “Image panel lite” to associate images with articles.

Looking to introduce callbacks here too so plugins such as jmd_img_selector (or my unreleased successor to it) can intercept or augment the default behaviour to offer stuff like “insert selected image(s) into Body, Excerpt, Custom Field, …”

Even if Write panel integration doesn’t get into core because of all the reasons stated over the years, I want the API available so that plugins can add this functionality without having to duplicate large chunks of the Images panel in their own code.

The main sticking point with multiple image uploads has been that of workflow. One can easily pre-select the destination category prior to upload for all images, but afterwards the mass insertion of meta data like alt and caption is a difficult workflow to get right. Plus there’s how to handle script timeouts if you pick, say, 200 images. And what happens if an upload fails midway?

Perhaps it needs to be jQuery based with each image posted via AJAX to minimise the risk. And what if multiple image categories (a.k.a. tags) existed in core in future? If you had to pre-select those, then is the interface limiting your upload choices when you have a tag pool of, say, 100 tags to choose from? Are all your images uploaded in one batch going to fit in all the pre-selected categories? Unlikely.

Equally, you shouldn’t have to wait until they’ve all uploaded to start adding metadata. Thus the interface should be interactive during upload so you can start adding metadata immediately after the first has uploaded. No idea how to solve that one. How do other tools out there handle it?

Going further, with every digital camera on the planet capturing oodles of additional data alongside the pics these days, it ought to be possible to extract that and at least pre-populate alt/caption if that’s available. But that starts getting a silly amount of code and a silly amount of support for something that isn’t in the core spirit of a lightweight Textpattern so the trade-off, as ever, will be how much to actually do in core and how much we open up to plugins.

Providing a suitable interface / workflow can be designed first…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2013-10-03 08:48:32

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote:

And when we recut the Images panel to build in a grid layout (I wanna do this sooner rather than later, btw) I’d like to refactor some of the functions so they can be reused from the Write panel to pop up “Image panel lite” to associate images with articles.

Yeah, I want to get back onto the admin-side design and layout soon. Just finishing off work on Textpacks (abut halfway through that at present) and building the new Textpattern forum first. Then I’ve got some changes to make to the layout grid of admin-side before this can go ahead.

Some of that work you mention relies on modal windows being in the core. We’ve already integrated jQuery UI and I’ve styled up it’s modal windows to look nice, so we need to get an implementation of it in the system.

I’d like to see modals used for:

1. The Pophelp inline help (Gocom and I have already moved that stuff out of the RPC server in preparation for this).
  2. A version of the new image grid that pops up on the Write page, to easily insert images (maybe a file one too).
  3. Edit screens (if possible), so that you don’t leave a list page to edit a resource.

There are ways of getting modals working OK on mobiles, so that’s not much of an issue.

Let me know what you need from me to get this rolling. I guess I’ll need to build some static visuals of how it could work.

Still got those search widgets outstanding as well.

#9 2013-10-03 10:10:35

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

Edit screens (if possible), so that you don’t leave a list page to edit a resource.

Rather pointless since the list pages need to be reloaded after form submissions. Doing reloads using JavaScript is nasty, so this won’t be implemented, I’m afraid.

Maybe when we rewrite Textpattern and its completely view, event driven and RESTful. Otherwise, have fun having hack-attach event handlers to new nodes and say bye to plugins.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-10-03 10:16:01)

#10 2013-10-03 10:19:56

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I did say ‘if possible’.

#11 2013-10-05 14:50:47

robhert
Website

I just wanted to add my two cents: Upload files to Textpattern

I’ve designed an ideal Upload tab from write panel.

Your are invited to comment it.

#12 2013-10-05 16:14:45

jpdupont

Fine, robhert !
Excellent, if we are able to customise our own tag to insert in the body : smd_thumbnail, or a macro created with smd_macro !

Board footer