Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-01-14 15:31:35

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [archived] bab_newsletter: Newsletter Manager for Textpattern

Skoggy,

I’m not getting your error — I think you may have grabbed ALL the text off the page and not just the base64 code from underneath this box:

# Newsletter Manager v4.0.3.0.1
  1. Newsletter Plugin for Textpattern
  2. Ben Bruce
  3. http://www.benbruce.com/
  1. …………………………………………………………….
  2. This is a plugin for Textpattern – http://textpattern.com/
  3. To install: textpattern > admin > plugins
  4. Paste the following text into the ‘Install plugin’ box:
  5. …………………………………………………………….

When I grabbed that as well I got the “Badly Formed or Empty Plugin” message.

Colak,

This is on the to do list:
  • Customizable table creation. This would allow you to create as many columns with whatever names you’d like.

I think you can set each tag to whatever you wish (with the attribute required=yes/no), and you can also create a form with just the email text field in it. Let me know if these items aren’t working.

Right now the unsubscribe tag is the only way to unsubscribe, but i think the radio button you describe wouldn’t be that difficult to implement.

– Ben

PS. I apologize about the US-centricity. We’ll definitely get that fixed.

Last edited by benbruce (2006-01-14 15:33:30)

#14 2006-01-14 16:33:30

soulship
Website

Ben, I couldn’t resist teating last night and I just wanted to say thanks! This is working nicely. I will eliminat phplists as soon as this has been running for a week or so. So far everything looks great!

Super contribution!

#15 2006-01-14 18:51:59

Jeremie
Website

How to change the privs required to access the newsletter tab ?

I’ve tried editing add_privs() into add_privs('bab_newsletter', '1,2,3,4,5,6');, but no luck :(

#16 2006-01-14 20:28:59

skoggy
Website

> benbruce wrote:
> Skoggy, I think I fixed the character issue — haven’t had time to test. Let me know if that did the trick.

Yes, it did :) But it looks like the registerform died after upgrade. But it may be my own fault and something I messed while editing…. But the character issue is hereby solved.

Edit: Correction. It almost work. The characters are correctly shown in mail but when saved to my archive section they are replaced by ? (in article). Perhaps you forgot that?

Last edited by skoggy (2006-01-14 20:49:06)

#17 2006-01-16 01:48:07

Adam

Ben,

Everything is working like a charm except for the unsubscribe part of the script. I have placed the unsubscribe tag in a page and put the URI to that page in the appropriate field, but when I test the ability to unsubscribe through the email, I am sent to a 404.

The page and section are named ‘unsubscribe’. The link that shows at the bottom of an email goes something like this: http://www.example.com/unsubscribe&email=default@default.com

Anybody know what’s wrong?

If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started. –Marcus Garvey

#18 2006-01-16 04:18:44

squaredeye
Website

Ben,
Feature request: (this may be way out there), though I know many folks in the community are interested in this sort of thing.

Is there any way for this plugin to interact with the database to know when a new article has been posted, and then to email the subscribers some portion of the article information (ie: author, title, excerpt, time, etc.)

Essentially this is handled by other sites like feedblitz.com by notifying subscribers when a certain RSS or Atom feed has been updated.

I thought it was worth a shot. This plugin looks like one of the greats, and its your first post, well done.
Also, my compliments on some really well written help files in the plugin. That can be a second thought for some plugin devs. but you really gave it the gusto this plugin deserves :)

Matthew

#19 2006-01-16 07:34:44

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

<blockquote> ma_smith wrote:

> Ben,
Feature request: (this may be way out there), though I know many folks in the community are interested in this sort of thing.

Is there any way for this plugin to interact with the database to know when a new article has been posted, and then to email the subscribers some portion of the article information (ie: author, title, excerpt, time, etc.)

Essentially this is handled by other sites like feedblitz.com by notifying subscribers when a certain RSS or Atom feed has been updated.

I thought it was worth a shot. This plugin looks like one of the greats, and its your first post, well done.
Also, my compliments on some really well written help files in the plugin. That can be a second thought for some plugin devs. but you really gave it the gusto this plugin deserves :)</blockquote>

Matthew,
It’s a good request except maybe it should have an option to send the email on admin determined intervals as well as section specific rss. some people might not like a daily mail in their post. Maybe the way to do it is for the plugin to send mail once every 10 posts or whatever the feed limit is on a per site basis.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#20 2006-01-16 07:58:18

Jeremie
Website

A note: mailing list softwares handle this (it’s called digest). Maybe one can use a ML software to handle massive email sending (I’m not sure how apache/php/smtp-postfixLike/MX friendly the plugin is), and handle digest (one mail every day/week/month containing all the new articles) too.

#21 2006-01-16 13:06:16

squaredeye
Website

Perhaps it could be an option, because for some, who follow blogs for instance, you want to check in regularly – especially if the blogger isn’t super prolific (ie: a family blog or something along that order)

If I can help look into this, I’d like to.

Jeremie, Thanks for the info:

M

#22 2006-01-16 13:16:59

alexandra

Anybody having the plugin working on his/her site and likes to publish the link?

#23 2006-01-16 14:59:38

Jeremie
Website

Not without sorting my “privs” issue. I soon as I (or someone else) find an answer, yep I will live test it on prod.

#24 2006-01-16 17:13:14

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Hey all,

I’m working on an update that will allow HTML and Text emails (gracefully degrading) or just text, with the option to archive either; fixing the character issue; setting up the Tables better; adding more preferences including some “language control”; and more. Once those updates are finished, we can look into some more features.

As to the “mail when an article is posted,” as far as I can figure it this would have to be a mod, and not a plugin. I don’t know of any way for the plugin to “know” when an article is posted — but you could certainly insert some of the “bab_mail” code into your txp_article function [actually changing your txp code] so that when an article is posted, a mail goes out to subscribers.

Adam, about you’re unsubscribe issue: I think the url you have entered into the field is not correct. You say … The page and section are named ‘unsubscribe’. The link that shows at the bottom of an email goes something like this: http://www.example.com/unsubscribe&email=default@default.com

The first part of the unsubscribe address should be the url directly to the individual article you’ve placed the tag in. So on my test, it’s like this:

Unsubscribe: http://www.benbruce.com/index.php?id=77&email=tester@benbruce.com

Try surfing to the individual article that you placed the unsubscribe form onto and copying the url and pasting it into the field in the Preferences. That SHOULD work.

Jeremie, sorry for the late response to your “privs” issue. If anyone else sorts it out, please post here, otherwise I’ll get to it after the current round of updates are done.

– Ben

Board footer