Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-01-09 05:08:40

takshaka
Archived Plugin Author
Website

[plugin] [ORPHAN] chh_keywords

The chh_keywords plugin provides Txp tags for managing articles based on keywords — or tags, or labels, or categories, or whatever the in vogue term is today.

Using a custom field or the keywords field itself, chh_keywords provides tags to create a link list of an article’s keywords, browse lists of articles by keyword, and list all keywords in the infamous weighted list now known as a Tag Cloud ™.

Rest assured that the word “folksonomy” does not appear anywhere in the documentation. And I almost made it through the announcement post without saying “tagging.”

#2 2006-01-09 14:33:18

els

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] chh_keywords

This sounds really good, takshaka! I will give this a try very soon. Thank you.

#3 2006-01-13 11:32:26

shotoshi
Website

This looks good. How does this differ, if at all, from the ran_txp_tags plugin?

Thanks in advance.

#4 2006-01-13 17:54:13

takshaka
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Ran’s plugin limits you to using only one custom field per installation and is focused on technorati-style tagging. chh_keywords is a more generalized approach that allows you use multiple fields for whatever organizational approach you like. So if you have a movie site, you could cross reference films by Director, Studio, Actor, etc.. chh_keywords is also more flexible in the style of article list it outputs, since you can use normal article forms.

It just depends on what you need.

#5 2006-01-13 19:15:07

shotoshi
Website

Many thanks Takshaka, appreciated.

Presumably then, one could then create tag clouds, or at least a list of tags, depending on the field used?

Therefore, in your example, one could output a list of most popular Director, Studio, Actor etc?

Another question: does this plugin use clean URLs?

#6 2006-01-14 07:44:25

takshaka
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Clean URLs are in the works, but I can’t give a definite timeline. A little voodoo is required to keep Txp from balking when it sees an unfamiliar URL, so I have to make sure the plugin isn’t going to step on any toes.

#7 2006-01-17 05:52:58

marknumberm

Awesome plug-in all around! It’s impressive to see it work so perfectly and offer so much functionality right out of the box.

The one thing I can’t figure out how to do is simply list the keyword that has been quried on a page that is a keyword query.

For example, if someone on my article about Egypt clicks on the “Filed under: Africa” link, how would I make the page it’s linked to say something like “You’re viewing all the articles containing the keyword ‘Africa.’”

#8 2006-01-17 07:32:08

takshaka
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I noticed that omission, too. The next version will have a couple of new tags to output the current field name and current keyword value for queries.

I’m out of town for a few days, but I’ll have the new version up sometime this week, complete with those two tags and the fancy new clean URLs.

#9 2006-01-18 02:03:19

makenosound

Sounds like a great Plugin, but I’m having a bit of trouble with it. Whenever I try and list the tags on an article page I’m presented with the error:

Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in /users/home/michaelhoney/domains/michaelhoney.net/web/public/zoo/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(455) : eval()’d code on line 39

Any ideas?

#10 2006-01-18 05:53:19

takshaka
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’m guessing you are using the keywords field. There is a bugfix for that and a typo in chh_keywords_list_all I was supposed to upload:

If you aren’t trying to use the keywords field, or if the update doesn’t fix the error, can you post the full tag with attributes you are using? Also, what version of PHP is your server running?

Edit:

There is a bugfix for that and a typo in chh_keywords_list_all I was supposed to upload

That is, I was supposed to upload the bugfix, not the typo. ;) English are my first language.

Last edited by takshaka (2006-01-18 05:57:36)

#11 2006-01-18 06:13:37

makenosound

Mmm, didn’t seem to work. I’ve tried using both the Keywords field and a custom field name ‘Tags’.

If I don’t specify a field using either <code><txp:chh_keywords_list /></code> or <code><txp:chh_keywords_list_all /></code> then it doesn’t bug out, but nothing displays. If I do specify the field to use, then I get the same error I mentioned above.

I’m hosting through Textdrive, and the PHP version is 5.05.

#12 2006-01-18 16:53:49

shotoshi
Website

One of the flaws with using keywords/tags is how you manage them in the admin interface.

When you start tagging articles, unless you keep them written down, you cannot remember
what you’ve used so you can end up with duplicates.

For example: I’ve been tagging articles of ‘cultural’ and ‘historical’ significance but I started off using
the words ‘culture’ and ‘historic’. So now I have some posts tagged with cultural and historical
some with the duplicated meanings culture and historic.

What would be neat is if the plugin could be enhanced to include a pop-up with all your previously used tags/keywords
alphabetically listed, each one with a check box. You could have the ability to build your list of keywords to be used
through this pop up.

Then, when adding keywords/tags to your articles you simply use the pop-up. Any keywords/tags not on the list
can also be added using the same pop-up.

I realise a lot of the work in your plugin has gone into making it work and making it work on
the front end, but it’s the admin/management of these keywords that now needs some focussed
attention.

Perhaps you could ransom this request?

Board footer