Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#361 2005-11-15 12:56:09

jameslomax
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_suparchive - article archive list

> tinyfly wrote:

> Try adding limit=“9999” to whatever txp:rss_suparchive tag you are using.

I’m a little lost with txp.
I’m a user, not a coder, who struggles with some of the basic stuff….not, sheesh, because I lack intelligence, but because I’m sychologically/constitutionally unsuited to messing with code. Its just the way it is.

So, I dont understand what you mean there.
I might be able to work it out if I spend a few hours poring over my site, but thats not good for my mental health when it is – intuitively I can see this – a simple point you are making.

So…..

Where is that tag – where will I find it, so I can adjust it?
- and do I include the “”, or did you just use that in your post?

Last edited by jameslomax (2005-11-15 13:04:09)

#362 2005-11-15 14:22:32

tinyfly
Website

james, I take it you are using the tag <code><txp:rss_suparchive_menu /></code> somewhere in your page template to get the months to show up in the first place. Is this correct?

Go to the tab admin -> plugins and click on the link that says help next to the rss_suparchive plugin. You will see a list of all available attributes that you can use with this plugin. Scroll down towards the bottom and you will see attributes for rss_suparchive_menu. You see there is a limit attribute that controls the number of months to display and the default is 6 months (which is what you are getting). To get it to show more than 6 months you add the limit attribute to your tag so it would look like this: <code><txp:rss_suparchive_menu limit=“9999” /></code>

The reason I put 9999 in the limit is so the list can grow and I don’t have to worry about always changing the amount of months it shows. Yes keep the quotes around the limit value.

#363 2005-11-16 00:18:35

djahughes
Website

> wilshire wrote:

> The intent behind the rss_suparchive_menu is to use it as a filter on an existing archive page that uses rss_suparchive or to use it as a menu to link to your archive section using linktosection=”“.

For example, on my site I have a section called archive that uses rss_suparchive. If I want to have a list of months only in that section I use <code><txp:rss_suparchive_menu /></code> and the permlinks would automatically use the current section. If I want to have the list of months throughout my site, I would use <code><txp:rss_suparchive_menu linktosection=“archive” /></code> and the permlinks would always direct me to the archive section.

Help… I’m pretty new to Txp and plug ins. The other blogs I’ve used had a monthly archive list and I’m trying to use this plugin to re-create the same.

Os using the tag <txp:rss_suparchive_menu linktosection=“archive” mode=“month” showcount=“0” limit=“24” /> I have created the monthly archive lust I want (see www.delisimo.co.uk) and I have created a section called archive.

This is where I’m a bit lost… what do I need to do within teh archive section to get my monthly listing pages?

Many, many thanks!

David Hughes
davidhughes.org

#364 2005-11-16 13:06:37

jameslomax
Website

Fly: hey, thanks.
Now that kind of instruction, I can work with!
I’ve made the alteration and its worked, but I’m now gettting a strange thing – TWO menu lists, one of them showing my complete archives, and the other one showing the 6-listing version I needed to expand:

here

Any ideas?!

Last edited by jameslomax (2005-11-16 13:08:17)

#365 2005-11-16 14:10:04

tinyfly
Website

james, do you have your tag (txp:rss_suparchive_menu />) in your page template twice? That is what it looks like.

#366 2005-11-16 21:49:05

jameslomax
Website

Thanks – yes, I added the full tag with the additional ‘limit’ part, so in effect it was entered twice!
Well, I learnt something there, so that’s cool.

#367 2005-11-26 22:09:18

chiefbutz
Website

How can I get rss_superarchive to group the archive by Month, instead of by day? I am really confused, I want it sorted similar to this http://www.wilshireone.com/archive

#368 2005-12-26 12:47:50

noods

> jstar wrote:

What I am trying to accomplish is to have links to my monthly archives on my main page (<a href=“http://dev.jstar.net” target=”_blank”>http://dev.jstar.net</a>) which you can see is showing up correctly. I have my “default” template setup so that it is calling the <code><txp:rss_suparchive_menu linktosection=“archive” /></code> tag in my right column. When you roll over the links you can see it is archiving them in the way it is suppose to: November 2005 (3) = <a href=“http://dev.jstar.net/archive/2005/11” target=”_blank”>http://dev.jstar.net/archive/2005/11</a>
The problem is when you click on the link you get a 404.

Hi all

Firstly, great plugin by wilshire here

initially, i had some problems in trying to get the date-based archives to work – i dunno if this was the same problem other users had – but i kept on receiving the 404 not found error (like jstar above), when i tried to display all the posts in a particular month. I thought it was in the display mode i was using, but after trying all the URL modes, the error would appear or alternatively, it would divert back to my default page and display all the articles on the default. Im assuming that this is cos im using the latest version of 4.02

Firstly – Jstar – ull have to set change your linktosection to “article” <txp:rss_suparchive_menu linktosection=“article” /> before moving on to the ret of my solution..

Anyways…heres my solution: (im using year/month/day mode for my URL)

rather than targeting the monthly archive menus to link to …archive/2005/11
we want to target it to the format article/?month=2005-11

so, in the code, search for the line (line45):

$datelink = ($mode == “YEAR”) ? “/”.safe_strftime(‘%Y’,$lasto) : “/”.safe_strftime(‘%Y’,$lasto).”/”.safe_strftime(‘%m’,$lasto);

and replace it with

$datelink = ($mode == “YEAR”) ? “/”.safe_strftime(‘%Y’,$lasto) : “/?month=”.safe_strftime(‘%Y’,$lasto).”-”.safe_strftime(‘%m’,$lasto);

then look for the line (line55)

$datelink = ($mode == “YEAR”) ? “/”.safe_strftime(‘%Y’,$lasto) : “/”.safe_strftime(‘%Y’,$lasto).”/”.safe_strftime(‘%m’,$lasto);

and replace it with

$datelink = ($mode == “YEAR”) ? “/”.safe_strftime(‘%Y’,$lasto) : “/?month=”.safe_strftime(‘%Y’,$lasto).”-”.safe_strftime(‘%m’,$lasto);

its all pretty simple actually – if you compare it all, we’re just replacing the slashes with dashes and adding in /?month= to change the format of the URL

as i mentioned before, i was using year/month/day mode for my URL settings

this was the only way i could get the rss_suparchive_menu to work for me – so hope this helps

-noods

Last edited by noods (2005-12-26 12:48:42)

#369 2006-01-04 02:46:10

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Wilshire, any word on the 404 issue?

A long time outstanding but not forgotten, I’ve posted a fix for archive date filtering by year/month/day. It has been tested on TXP 4.0.3 (r1207). This update should also significantly reduce the number of queries that are run.

I know there are a bunch of other requests out there but this seemed most urgent. Let me know if it works…

Download rss_suparchive 0.16

#370 2006-01-04 15:08:27

tinyfly
Website

Everybody stand up and give applause to wilshire for this update.

Thank you, I can now update one of my sites to 4.0.x and it works perfectly.

#371 2006-01-04 15:19:21

tinyfly
Website

When I have status set to debugging I get the following errors: tag_error <txp:rss_suparchive limit="25" dateformat="F Y" showcats="0" showsubdate="0" subdateformat="F d" class="article-list" section="commentaries" /> -> Notice: Undefined variable: count

Everything seems to work fine though.

Board footer