Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-11-30 00:32:34

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

[plugin] [ORPHAN] wow_menu-Full menu control (order, hide/show items, subtree)

If you have ever been annoyed by the way textpattern outputs the category list as a menu, and by your inability to control what’s being displayed, and in which order, try this plugin (beta!).

It gives you full control of the order in which menu items are displayed (admin side plugin allows easy manipulation) and allows you to hide certain tree parts, or to only display a sub-tree. The result is shown as a list which can be easily modified and controlled through CSS. No hacks required – the plugin does it all for you.

I have tried out a couple of txp menu plugins out there but found that they either didn’t do what I wanted/needed, or were way too oversized for what I needed, besides requiring hacks which would be required again after the next txp update. What I had in mind was something small and easy to use, yet powerful enough to do all the menu manipulation you need. Looking forward to hearing if what I created is helpful to anyone. :)

Current version: 1.02, released 24.03.2007
Download URL: http://www.shadowplanet.com/downloads.html

Changelog:
0.1 – Initial version just for testing, not publicly released.
0.2 – Official beta
0.3 – Display categories as links, code cleanup
0.4 – Fixed tree with “hide” and “start” attributes in use, fixed root element display if start attribute in use, changed display to current menu order on “menu control”, corrected major error in help text, reformatted help text to use HTML tags instead of Textile
0.5 – Added new option “showparent” for subtrees, fixed issue where the closing tags at the end of the tree did not match the opening tags, amended help text, cleaned-up code
0.6 – Fixed missing parameter bug for “displayMenu” function call, all HTML tags now uncapitalized for successful code validation
0.7 – Merged code with Andrei’s improvements (showcount, showempty), added bugfix for subtree display (Andrei), manual amended, first release managed through SVN. Not publicly released
0.8 – Added id attribute for all li and ul tags to allow DOM tree manipulation with JavaScript, added JavaScript array (“menu_levels”) with all related ul tag id’s for every li element, added section auto-link feature, bugfix in hide item procedure
0.8.1 – Removed showempty attribute and the ability to decide if empty categories should be displayed, bugfix for showing number of articles correctly, fixed permlink issues
0.9 – Improved JavaScript support by adding new helper arrays, ability to insert custom JavaScript code for each li, ul and a tag in the tree, ability to include/exclude JavaScript helper arrays, amended help text
1.0 RC1 – Not publicly released
1.0 RC2 – Encapsulate HREFs in DIVs, fixed closing LI tag bug
1.0 – Added wow_menu_if_sub_of conditional tag. Code-cleanup, CSS display issues with TXP 4.0.4 on the admin screen fixed, help text amended.
1.01 – showcount="2" bug fixed (thanks Opalcat!)
1.02 – Added attribute include_cat to wow_menu_if_sub_of tag (thanks GeertAki!)

Enjoy!

Last edited by nighthawk (2007-03-24 20:15:06)

#2 2005-11-30 01:18:10

Infi

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] wow_menu-Full menu control (order, hide/show items, subtree)

Wow. (No pun intended.) Looks very promising….

What I love:

• The subcategories are actually enclosed in a nested list. Woohoo!
  • The ability to move things around so easily. VERY nicely done.

Question: The list is created, but the categories aren’t linked. Are there more parameters that need to be set? (I’m testing the basic tag for beginners – no hiding, starts or stops.)

P.S. The help text in plugin admin runs together. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. :)

#3 2005-11-30 02:17:33

nardo

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] wow_menu-Full menu control (order, hide/show items, subtree)

yep, well named plugin!

• no hrefs here either, like infi
  • would be good to be able to insert class names at each level too, altho I guess you can work down from the enclosing div id (#menutree) — is there an active class?

#4 2005-11-30 10:23:43

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@Infi
> Wow. (No pun intended.) Looks very promising….
Nice to hear you like it. :)

> Question: The list is created, but the categories aren’t linked.
lol – I knew I forgot something! I’ll tackle this tonight and will put up v0.3 for download asap. Thanks for pointing this out!

> P.S. The help text in plugin admin runs together. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. :)
Hmmm… guess I need to check it with IE, right? In Firefox/Moz, everything was ok. Will look into this shortly, too.

Thanks for the feedback!

#5 2005-11-30 11:25:44

Infi

> P.S. The help text in plugin admin runs together. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. :)
Hmmm… guess I need to check it with IE, right?

Oh, heavens no! IE and I parted ways long ago. Firefox 1.07. :)

#6 2005-11-30 11:36:18

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@nardo wrote:

> * would be good to be able to insert class names at each level too, altho I guess you can work down from the enclosing div id (#menutree) — is there an active class?

Please address the li’s and ul’s through the enclosing div tag. I toyed with the idea of adding such a feature, but I think you can get just the same results by using “menutree”. :)

Sorry for the hrefs – as said above, I’ll fix it asap.

#7 2005-11-30 11:39:09

oldi

This is a great plugin.

I have been waiting for a long time for something like this.

I am using firefox and still the help text runs together.

thanks a lot for your hard work

#8 2005-11-30 12:33:33

skoggy
Website

Agree, great work on this one. Looking forward for the upcoming update…

#9 2005-11-30 19:37:36

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Plugin updated – the links are there now. Check it out and see if it works for you.

About the help text problems – sorry, I can’t reproduce this one even though I also use Firefox 1.07 like Infi. :/ Let me play around a little, maybe I can solve this in one of the next versions. I hope it’s not too annoying. :)

Last edited by nighthawk (2005-11-30 19:56:14)

#10 2005-11-30 20:29:29

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

Really neat plugin, Nighthawk. Thanks!

-Alan

#11 2005-12-01 02:58:24

Infi

Links work. :)

Any plans to support clean URLs? Section sensitization will probably be requested down the line for those that don’t appear on the front page.

Anyone looking for an easily manipulated category tree, otoh, should be very happy with it now. Nice!

#12 2005-12-01 03:16:04

Jeremie
Website

Infi wrote:
Any plans to support clean URLs? Section sensitization will probably be requested down the line

Indded :)

Board footer