Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-10-29 12:25:06

RenJonsin
Website

Re: [wiki] Documentation: "Clearly beneficial to many users"

That reminded me that I need to get back to updating my own site’s documentation for my writers. I started an end user tutorial that was specific to my site here back in April, but got sidetracked with baseball season other projects.

It would have been much easier if I could have sent my writers and editors to a site that had a generic version, or if these type of instructions were included with the docs, but it didn’t take that long to make a site specific version, and I learned more about textpattern in the process. I had a lot of time available back then though.

If anyone can use any of my documentation or images to create a tut, go ahead. I’ll probably be updating this in the next couple of weeks though.

Or letting it gather dust as I put it off again. That’s one reason I don’t offer to do things like this on a community wide basis. I don’t want to offer unless I know I can give the continued support it would need.

Ren

#26 2005-10-29 13:09:37

Destry
Website

Thank you, Ren, your words support at least one point I’ve been trying to emphasize about making contributions to documentation availabe for more to assist with.

By the way, I think you mean to say “Content Management System” on your site, not “Contact..”

Last edited by Destry (2005-10-29 13:15:26)

#27 2005-10-29 16:08:39

RenJonsin
Website

Well that explains why I can’t find my Aunt’s phone number.

Thanks for the community support on that. I’ve read that a dozen times and never noticed it.

#28 2005-10-29 17:54:46

maniqui
Website

One thing is to use TXP (as end-user that simple wants to write articles or modify a little the content of his site) and the other one is to develope a site with TXP.

Dont expect to reach a very far goal if you dont have some basic knowledge and good predisposition.
But i have read that even mary’s mom uses TXP!
Surely, mary has developed her mom’s site with TXP, and her mom uses TXP.

I have been searching with the Wayback Machine for Textpattern.com*/http://www.textpattern.com/ if I can find that message that I can swear I read at textpattern.com/deanload/ when I downloaded TXP for the first time.
I was very very near to achieve my goal: textpattern.com/deanload at the Wayback machine*/http://www.textpattern.com/deanload. There is a result for April 2004, but when you click on it, you get a page that says that textpattern.com/deanload wasnt archived.

Well, let’s go back to the topic:

I’m searching for that phrase that said something like To use TXP you need skills in (x)HTML and CSS that has been removed from /deanload/.

I dont want to promote that TXP is for a niche or a lodge, neither I want to be egoistic and pedantic with the people that wants to use TXP but dont have a clue about what HTML stands for (because the true is that they can use it to blog just with the default install).

Where am I going?
Textpattern isnt for everybody (please, dont throw me anything solid that may hurt me), or am I wrong?
As I said before: Drupal wasn’t for me, and maybe TXP wasnt for you.

Maybe I’m wrong, but there are always required knowledge/requisites if you want to use a tool.
The tool, in this case, is TXP.

I’m not saying that you have to be a geek of the Web, not even a PHP freaky to use TXP. You dont have to be a professional webdesigner, neither a webdeveloper nor an information architect.

But I think it’s a requirement just to be an enthusiast of:

1. XHTML
  2. CSS
  3. and the Trial and Error method

I’m of that kind of TXP users!
Before I started to use TXP, I have a basic but solid knowledge in XHTML and CSS. First, I made a static xHTML site, all .htm files uploaded by FTP. Then, I started to look wich was the best way to have a site that can be updated easily and then I found somewhere a link to Textpattern.com. Clicked, downloaded TXP, installed it (with very very basic PHP, MySQL and cPanel knowledge), play with it (trial and error), and felt in love.

If you want to use TXP and dont have those basics, you can simple keep the default installed theme and then start to write articles.
If you want to reach a far goal and develope sites with TXP, just become an enthusiast of XHTML, CSS, the trial and the error.

Last edited by maniqui (2005-10-29 18:10:09)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer