Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-09-26 15:52:14

Etz Haim
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] etz_crumbs

There’s a new version (0.3) available that gets rid of the dependencies on the upm_*_title plugins. These plugins once were useful to fill a gap in the core Textpattern distribution, so let’s all thank Mary for them.

However, as of revision 953 there are new, improved section and category navigation tags that make the upm_*_title plugins obsolete, and it was time for etz_crumbs to stop using them too.

#26 2005-09-26 17:19:45

Niconemo

Well… I testing this plugin with the default deanload version (rev. 888) and I have some issues :

1st issue :
I see a “notitle” option (notitle: don’t show the article title in the breadcrumbs) but ther is no article title at all in my breadbrumb anyway… so I think something is going wrong.

2d issue :
My frontpage breadcrumb shows this : “Home > default” What is this “default” ? How to get rid of it ?

Maybe these issues are due to my txp version (rev.888)… ? The plugin would work only with latest SVN ?

Edit :
Hem! tcm_crumbs does axactly the same… I don’t know what to think…

Last edited by Niconemo (2005-09-26 17:41:00)

Nico

#27 2005-09-26 21:03:12

Etz Haim
Archived Plugin Author
Website

> Niconemo wrote:

> I see a “notitle” option (notitle: don’t show the article title in the breadcrumbs) but ther is no article title at all in my breadbrumb anyway… so I think something is going wrong.

Put <txp:etz_crumbs /> in an article form and it should work (in other words, RTFM).

> My frontpage breadcrumb shows this : “Home > default” What is this “default” ? How to get rid of it ?

What’s the point of using a crumbs menu in your frontpage? “Default” is the section name for the Textpattern frontpage. You cannot change its name or assign a title to it.

#28 2005-09-26 21:05:44

soulship
Website

@Niconeno
That’s strange. I had that issue a long time ago and had to use spc_alias back in the day to get rid of the “default” from crumbs and home page titling. Havent used this version will check it out now. I’m running 4.01. Let you know.

Jamie

#29 2005-09-27 06:34:08

Niconemo

> Etz Haim wrote:
> What’s the point of using a crumbs menu in your frontpage?

It’s in a global form… with standard txp breadcrumb nothing is displayed. But of course I could use a conditionnal to hide it.

> Etz Haim wrote:
Put <txp:etz_crumbs /> in an article form and it should work (in other words, RTFM).

Put <txp:etz_crumbs /> in your article form(s). Requires the stw_category_tree plugin.

OK, I see… I did RTFM but I must have read “page” instead of “form”… as it is not completely natural to me to put a breadcrumb in an article. ;-) (though I understand perfectly now why it must be so). Maybe “article form” shoud be bold in the “FM” too (if by chance I’m not the only one to fall in that trap I mean).

Thank you for the answer and the plugin.

Last edited by Niconemo (2005-09-27 06:36:28)

Nico

#30 2005-09-27 12:11:02

Etz Haim
Archived Plugin Author
Website

To be honest, I’m using mine outside of the article form and inside a page template using some Textpattern trickery. I’m currently thinking of ways to make it work everywhere without requiring voodoo knowledge. ;) In the mean time, you can place your crumbs anywhere in your page using fixed CSS positioning.

#31 2005-09-27 14:20:40

Niconemo

> Etz Haim wrote:

> To be honest, I’m using mine outside of the article form and inside a page template using some Textpattern trickery. I’m currently thinking of ways to make it work everywhere without requiring voodoo knowledge. ;) In the mean time, you can place your crumbs anywhere in your page using fixed CSS positioning.

It was not too hard to do what I wanted in the site that needed the plugin : the breadcrumb was exactly on the top of the articles so I could, with some condiationals, display it either in the page template, either in th article form… Thank you. I’ll remember the CSS positionning option for another site.

Nico

#32 2005-09-27 15:32:44

jstubbs
Website

How do you style the breadcrumbs? I don’t see any option for that.

#33 2005-09-27 16:01:02

Niconemo

It’s a CSS matter…
You can for example wrap the tag in a <div class="breadcrumb"> and define a .breadcrumb{} class in the CSS

Last edited by Niconemo (2005-09-27 16:01:49)

Nico

#34 2005-09-27 17:41:32

jstubbs
Website

Ok, so is it better to place the tag within the page or a form? I found the same issue as Niconemo – the “default” showed up on the front page. You could say we don’t need breadcrumbs on the front page but its better to present it on all pages so users get familiar with it.

To put it on the front page would require making a new form/s instead of using the default article form. The other option is to place it in the page itself, but…..

1. If in the page do we need to add anything apart from the tag?

I will wrap the tag in a div for styling – thanks for the suggestion.

#35 2005-09-27 23:40:39

jstubbs
Website

OK, have experimented a little and find if I add the tag into the page it makes more sense, due to the fact that I have several forms to output articlle lists and single forms etc, not to mention that who wants to see “site > default” on the front page! (thats if the txp:etz_crumbs is in the default form)

However, if the tag is in the page, then the article title does not show up in the breadcrumb. Maybe I missed something here, but its 1.30am and its hard at this time :-)

#36 2005-09-28 16:08:15

Etz Haim
Archived Plugin Author
Website

As of revision 965 kusor has included my patch to make the built-in <txp:breadcrumb /> title aware. All you have to do is specify <txp:breadcrumb title="1" /> and voila, the titles show up instead of the names. So, depending on your needs, you may not need etz_crumbs anymore.

This doesn’t mean that this plugin is or will become deprecated; it has a different behaviour from the built-in tag, plus it includes some other features, like support for nested categories. I still need etz_crumbs for my site(s), so I will continue supporting it.

Board footer