Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-06-14 20:44:34

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

Re: asv_amazon

yeah that’s built in to the plugin…you can specify which locale to use. By default it is set to US, but you can set locale to any of the following:
  1. us – United States
  2. uk – United Kingdom
  3. de – Denmark
  4. jp – Japan
  5. fr – France
  6. ca – Canada

If you install the plugin you can check out the help section and learn how to use it before activating it.

#14 2005-06-14 21:10:13

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

Real quick everyone…just updated my plugin to fix a defect I found. The link at the top is updated to point to version 0.3. Also, the plugin can now be installed using the preferred installer and not the old way of uploading the txt file.

#15 2005-06-26 18:26:04

sekhu
Website

this is a nice plugin however….

i was wondering if two things could be done:

1) add an extensions tab – within this the ability to select a product from amazon using some sort of linked search facility within txp to amazon – and to be able to set settings such as the locale, an amzon id if applicable and what type of image, attributes etc.

2) the ability to shorten the title output to x amount of characters. Not sure if I can use the substr plugin in this regard but, for example: Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail ’72 (Harper Perennial Modern Classics S.) is a fairly long title for a fixed width column of 250px, so if it would wrap at least it would be good. Not sure if it does wrap, my sites a bit off right now.

thanks for this!

#16 2005-06-26 19:23:24

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

sekhu:

Those are great suggestions!

1) I actually am working right now on learning how to write admin side plugins because I did want to add that kind of search capabilities to the admin (a la the wp-amazon plugin).
In regards to the settings, is it common practice to store plugin settings as a text file somewhere or to create another table inside of the TXP database to access the data?

2) I’ll see if I can do a quick fix for that and just add another attribute to the tag (the list of attributes are getting pretty long, aren’t they?). But I’ll make sure to include that in the admin side of this plugin.

No idea on when that will be ready, but I’m hoping within three weeks I’m moving cities so I’m pretty swamped right now.

#17 2005-06-26 21:42:50

sekhu
Website

look forward to it variaas and obviously take your time – life is a priority over plugin :), safe moving!

Last edited by sekhu (2005-06-26 21:43:03)

#18 2005-10-06 19:34:54

kaline
Website

It would be great if I could add in my amazon associates ID to the url. I don’t know if this is difficult to do or not…

#19 2005-10-06 19:52:34

jonhicks
Website

Kaline, you add your ID in the tag attributes! Check the help text…

Cheers,
Jon VC#9

#20 2005-10-06 20:03:13

kaline
Website

Hmmmm…I’m not seeing it. The only thing I can see that resembles the associates ID is the subscription id which is for web services developers (I don’t think this is the same as an associates id – different format and different application for obtaining one – I have both.) I’m not seeing any mention of it in the help file, either, and I’ve read that a couple of times now. I’ve checked his site and don’t see any mention of it there, either.

Point me in the right direction, oh wise one.

I’m using version .5, btw.

Last edited by kaline (2005-10-06 20:04:26)

#21 2005-10-07 18:42:38

kaline
Website

Jon – I think you’re thinking of the other Amazon plug-in – the one that makes the thumbnails – knd_amazonlist, I think it is.

Anyway, if you want to add your amazon associates id to this plug-in, you just need to add one line of code.
Edit the plug-in and scroll nearly all the way to the bottom until you see:
<code> $params = array( ‘Service’ => ‘AWSECommerceService’, ‘SubscriptionId’ => ‘0DZWD9BKQ6DHPH4XA2G2’ , // You can specify your own developer tag if you have registered to be an Amazon web services developer ‘Operation’ => ‘ItemLookup’, ‘ItemId’ => $asin, ‘ResponseGroup’ => ‘Medium’, );
</code>

In the array, add this line: <code>‘AssociateTag’ => ‘jaydreyer-20’,</code>. I added it right after SubscriptionId, but I don’t think it matters where you put it. Obviously, you’ll have to change ‘jaydreyer-20’ to whatever your associates id is (unless you want to send me your referral $$$, which is fine with me!)

This will add in your associates id and you’ll be on your way to making big $$$. This should help me double the 7 cents I’ve earned so far through my google adsense placements. Yes!

Last edited by kaline (2005-10-07 18:47:21)

Board footer