Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-06-02 12:47:01

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

Re: mem_self_register

Textpattern.org is not using this plugin. They are using the original mod that I did. This plugin has a lot more control over how and where the registration form is displayed. With the plugin, you are no longer forced to use a registration link of “/textpattern/index.php?event=register”. Instead, the form can be placed with in an article, form, or page.

#14 2005-06-03 03:40:20

aslsw66
Website

Could this plugin be combined with ign_password_protect to allow for registrations from visitors but then restrict what they can see? Or atlernatively, have pages that are only available to people who have registrated?

I want to set up a restricted site for established members of a community, with content for them only. But I don’t necessarily want them to be able to write content …

#15 2005-06-03 05:20:42

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

aslsw66, i just skimmed through the ign_password_protect info, and it seems like what you are looking to do is possible. The default behavior for mem_self_register is to create a user with no priviliges, which restricts them from the admin section, but they will have txp_user accounts. I’m making an assumption based upon this from the other forum thread.

privs: comma separated list of privilege levels to compare against. If omitted, plugin simply
checks for account existence (including privs = None).

From what it seems like, igner’s plugin makes mine that much better (or vice versa)!

#16 2005-06-03 12:52:57

igner
Plugin Author

@aslsw66 – yes, that’s exactly the kind of behaviour I wanted when I hacked together the password_protect plugin. Those with privs NONE can’t login to the admin area, but the accounts exist, so they can get access to restricted content.

@Manfre – I saw your announcement and thought these would be a nice complement to one another. I do need to clean up some things in the code, and I have some features I want to add (such as separating the login form from the protect tags so that it’s possible to display the login form in a different part of the page than protected content.

I’m interested in where you’re going with this plug-in, particularly if you’re thinking about moving the users to a separate database.

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#17 2005-06-06 05:58:21

aslsw66
Website

That all sounds great, igner and Manfre.

The last piece of the puzzle for me is to be able to send an email to groups of registered users. I’ve seen the discussions in the forums about emailing when new articles are published, but what I really want is a more flexible ability to generate emails to users.

I know – this is getting close to a membership subscription/list manager system. I’ve been looking around at a few PHP applications, but what I really want is the ability to combine restricted site access with membership emails in one place. Of course, there are competitors to TXP which (claim) to do this via plugins and hacks, but I really, really want to keep using TXP.

Oh well, at least these two bits are coming together. That’s why I love TXP so much!

#18 2005-06-06 06:35:47

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

aslsw66, a simple distribution list shouldn’t be to difficult to implement. Having a form where you type out your email message and then select the user type to send it to should not require much work. I recommend you submit this as a request to the “Feature Request” forum. Describe how you would like it to function, and hopefully some one will pick it up.

#19 2005-06-06 06:37:16

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

igner, I’ll have to get back to you later about where I plan on taking this plugin. I have several ideas that I need to hash out before I commit to any of them.

#20 2005-06-07 01:17:17

raveoli
Website

The timer is currently at 60 dollars out of 100 as the goal.

I’m not gonna pay 40 dollars for this feature. How come the ransom has stalled? Really no one interested?

Manfre – are you gonna release it soon?

#21 2005-06-07 13:44:43

davidm

Ok it took me some time to do what I said, I just dropped 10$

Now at 70% :-)

Come on guys, when I saw it was blocked at 60, made me jump and then I had to bump ;-) !!!

Last edited by davidm (2005-06-07 13:47:32)

.: Retired :.

#22 2005-06-07 13:50:33

igner
Plugin Author

Manfre – not a problem; I made my plugin to solve an immediate need I had, and just saw value in releasing it. I just figured no sense reinventing the wheel (i.e. writing a separate user management module) if there was existing work elsewhere (or plans for said work).

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#23 2005-06-08 07:06:41

-jw-

textile deletes my identity

#24 2005-06-08 11:11:54

jakob
Admin
Website

90% from me.

Can see great possibilities for this for simple member profiles and member articles, particularly together with rss-suparchive where I believe you can list articles according to author (right?).

So I’m donating another 10$ to the pool too (will take a day or two to transfer from Germany). Just needs one more to tip it over the limit.

Two questions for the moment:

1) Can it be made that the admin has to confirm the user registration to stop anyone and everyone registering and publishing?

2) If I understand this correctly I could give new members the status “staff writer” and they can write their own content and upload images without me having to switch it to live. But what’s to stop them removing other people’s content? A staff writer cannot delete articles other than their own, but my test shows they can delete other people’s images and files. Alternatively, is it possible to set up custom privilege profiles, either with the plug-in or using another separate admin plug-in.

Thanks for feedback

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer