Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-02-14 11:53:49

jakob
Admin
Website

Tips on displaying recent Facebook posts on one's own website…

I’m looking to bring in recent Facebook posts from a page into a txp site. I know I can use their FB widget, but as far as I can tell, it’s not great responsive-wise or on small devices. Is there a way to bring in just certain relevant post data and display it with one’s own styling? I don’t need website visitors to be able to interact with directly with FB through an iframe; linking back to the post on FB would suffice.

There used to be an RSS-feed which you could manipulate with smd_xml but that seems long gone. There’s Facebook’s Graph API? What do you use, and can you provide any tips (or code snippets).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#2 2017-02-14 16:23:49

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Tips on displaying recent Facebook posts on one's own website…

or just forget about FarceBook ;-)

…. texted postive

#3 2017-02-14 16:40:09

jakob
Admin
Website

Hmm. I’m not a facebooker myself but the client explicitly asked for this. It’s for a small organisation’s homepage that is not frequently updated but the various member associations contribute to a communal facebook page (i.e. many contributors share the work). Bringing in the facebook feed shows that things are going on in the background.

They showed me their FB site embedded on another organisation’s site running Joomla, and it made the page very busy, diverting attention from the actual page’s purpose. The blend-in FB overlay on a mobile is a tab on the right-hand side that extends from the right and disappears off the left again, i.e. even the FB content is not properly readable. Plus it covers about 3/4 of the display. Getting out of the overlay involves tapping the background causing a page reload if there’s something active there… I don’t know if their web-people implemented it badly, or whether the widget itself is poorly designed (or not for that use case). One way or the other, I see the point of including recent FB posts on this site, but I’d much rather bring in FB posts in a more ‘designed’ way.

#4 2017-02-14 17:02:20

bici
Website Mastodon

found this not sure how it would work:
Update: Facebook no longer supports this method and it looks like there’s no way to get an RSS feed. The only way i know of subscribing to a Facebook page is by using Inoreader.com
source

Last edited by bici (2017-02-14 17:04:00)

…. texted postive

#5 2017-02-14 18:08:56

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

This Wordpress plugin looks interesting The Custom Facebook Feed but would probably be a lot of work to setup.

#6 2017-02-15 03:20:31

jstubbs
Website

One other option is to use a paid service like Tint – the theme is somewhat customisable.

#7 2017-02-15 09:25:24

jakob
Admin
Website

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I somehow thought this was something someone had done before. Sounds to me like a good case for etc_query or smd_xml.

michaelkpate wrote #304034:

This Wordpress plugin looks interesting The Custom Facebook Feed but would probably be a lot of work to setup.

I’d seen that too but it’s wordpress of course. There’s an old free version of it on github but it seems Facebook has gone through a number of SDK changes in recent years and half of the tutorials on the net (and code on Github) seem to be for deprecated versions (though I’m not expert enough to recognise which is which).
But on the WP plugin-maker’s homepage, there is also a standalone version that looks promising and straightforward enough to incorporate into txp. Certainly their demo was the kind of thing I was thinking of. It’s a per-install fee, though that may require re-purchasing after a year if facebook change their retrieval method again.

From what I’ve seen of the current SDK and code snippets, retrieving a page feed is not so complex, but dealing with the various post types and reposted content requires handling the different post cases iteratively. I’ll have to decide what’s more expedient cost-time-wise: purchase and adapt or try and work it out myself.

FWIW, here are some of the links I’ve come across:

Board footer