You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2016-09-13 09:56:11

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Hive 4.6 and beyond

philwareham wrote #301401:

I know how to use Bootstrap thanks.

Yes, I ran into this last summer, made me feel like I was on the right track.

I’ve just purchased a copy of INSPINIA for reference purposes and the production code is 32MB – that includes 10MB of JavaScript and 66 external JavaScript libraries, each with their own differing licenses (some MIT, some Apache, some BSD, and that’s just the handful I’ve checked so far). Since we are GPLv2 licensed we wouldn’t be able to include and distribute any Apache licensed code for a start, so those would have to be stripped out. It’s a lawsuit waiting to happen if we use this as-is, basically.

Yes, I also sent $18 via PayPal to get a peek under the hood.

Yes, I know of the licensing issues. Wonder how that works for front-of-site Themes?

Since a lot of INSPINIA is bundles of other open source JavaScript, font and CSS libraries (see the chart scripts, file uploader, Bootstrap, etc.) we can cherry pick those ourselves if desired from the original authors without having to scrap the admin side and starting again from scratch, forgoing backwards compatibility.

I’m using INSPINIA as a learning experience.

But by all means, fork Textpattern and rewrite for INSPINIA – I would be very keen to see an implementation of it.

The laboratory is being stocked for the experiments.

Bread good, wine good, smoke good, music good :)

#38 2016-09-13 10:02:18

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Cool. I will pick that theme apart and see what we can benefit from – mainly it’s the JS files I am interested in (chart.js and dropzone for a start).

#39 2016-09-13 10:14:12

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #301403:

Cool. I will pick that theme apart and see what we can benefit from – mainly it’s the JS files I am interested in (chart.js and dropzone for a start).

Yeah, all this talk of drag and drop in the thread and I was staring at the examples for Dropzone.

I also came upon Summernote in the Theme, a WYSIWYG Editor that I had done some tests with last summer, and I had really liked.

Essentially someone did the leg work for us, scouring the web, reading the docs, and implementing it. Saves development time, and isn’t that what all these tools like Grunt and SASS do?

#40 2016-09-13 11:13:31

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Oh, one last thing, I’m going for separate Desktop and Mobile themes.

A designer advised me that it was the best approach to take.

#41 2016-09-13 11:19:22

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #301407:

Oh, one last thing, I’m going for separate Desktop and Mobile themes.

A designer advised me that it was the best approach to take.

Honestly, I wouldn’t bother. We are planning customised panels in 4.7 with localStorage to save the settings, which will cover this better than a dedicated mobile admin theme.

#42 2016-09-13 11:29:39

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #301408:

Honestly, I wouldn’t bother. We are planning customised panels in 4.7 with localStorage to save the settings, which will cover this better than a dedicated mobile admin theme.

That sounds good but if I’m on Mobile, I’m not going to be hacking Pages and Forms, maybe a quick edit on a footer form or something, more often I’ll be working with content.

My vision for Pages and Forms is for an IDE like experience. Let’s use PHPCrossRef as an example, when you mouse over a PHP function, you get a popup. When viewing a Page in the admin, I can see a user mousing over txp:output_form and a popup appears showing the Form’s code. Syntax highlighting comes to mind, something I wouldn’t want on Mobile to keep the experience optimal.

But first things first, Desktop beast mode.

#43 2016-09-15 10:45:53

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote #301409:

When viewing a Page in the admin, I can see a user mousing over txp:output_form and a popup appears showing the Form’s code.

Playing with summernote, there is the ability to create a Custom button.

So a user highlights the form name in the textarea of a Page, then clicks the Custom toolbar button to get a popup of the form, no need to open another tab to the Forms panel.

Board footer