philwareham wrote #300556:

How about this?

+1

#14 2016-08-09 21:01:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: “Collapse all” button on Pages / Forms / Write panels

Done on the Forms panel. Please test. Language strings expand_all and collapse_all will need adding. Next stop: Write panel.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2016-08-09 21:07:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Quick question about the Write panel: the Sort and display area is not collapsible. Having expand/collapse buttons at the top that do not affect this box might seem a little weird.

We have traditionally assumed the box is fundamentally important, hence its permanently-open nature, but in the interests of implementing this toggle feature, should the box be made collapsible, in keeping with the others?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#16 2016-08-09 21:33:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

And done on the Write panel too, notwithstanding the issue mentioned in my previous post.

#17 2016-08-09 22:13:22

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I guess the sort and display could be a collapsible too. I would suggest, if possible, that on a clean install that twisty is set to expanded initially.

#18 2016-08-09 23:40:37

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #300576:

And done on the Write panel too, notwithstanding the issue mentioned in my previous post.

Thanks! It works great on both panels. Happy editing with the option of less visual clutter and faster keyboard access all around; screen readers users should be happy as well :-)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#19 2016-08-09 23:46:11

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #300577:

I guess the sort and display could be a collapsible too. I would suggest, if possible, that on a clean install that twisty is set to expanded initially.

I would tend to agree. Ideally —but that would require a bit of complex logic I suspect — the sort and Display panel could be always expanded when starting a new article.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#20 2016-08-10 14:50:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #300577:

I guess the sort and display could be a collapsible too… on a clean install that twisty is set to expanded initially.

phiw13 wrote #300579:

the sort and Display panel could be always expanded when starting a new article.

Both good suggestions, neither particularly simple to implement, though phiw13’s is the easier of the two, albeit breaking the user’s selection and requiring an exception to the “is this visible or not?” logic.

Another possibility is to move the expand/collapse links below the Sort and display block. Would that look pants?

#21 2016-08-10 15:18:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #300590:

Another possibility is to move the expand/collapse links below the Sort and display block.

Phil’s kindly mocked this up. Thoughts anyone?

#22 2016-08-10 16:05:26

maverick
Website

I like the mock up. Though as (I think) I’ve mentioned once or twice over the years, I’d like the sort & display to be collapsible as well. (I understand Phil’s rational on why he thinks it should always be visible. Even so, my preference is to collapsible it.)

I had a couple of thoughts when seeing the mock up:

1. Related to the question – my thought was “what if we went with a slide out menu instead?” There are times I really prefer to just write. The idea of no screen space surrendered to settings has long been a desire of mine. With the new layout, a slide out settings menu would work well and achieve a win-win.
  2. Unrelated to the menu collapse: One of my first thoughts – what is view and how is it different from preview. I know, but had to think about it. It’s not intuitive.

Last edited by maverick (2016-08-10 16:08:18)

#23 2016-08-10 16:07:36

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

A slide out menu would not work with what we have planned for the Write page in future (moveable fields).

Board footer