Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-07-26 02:42:45

BryanA.

Porting from Bootstrap template

I have really fallen in love with a template whose creators won’t customize, only support existing customers, etc etc and I’m loyal to Textpattern anyway.

I’ve never ported anything in my life but seen a lot of to and from WordPress templates port here and there to work with other CMS solutions. I don’t know anything about Bootstrap and really don’t want to adopt a new learning curve but is that what it would take to port this Theme to work with TextPattern output?

I want a video blog site that allows categorization and tiles the index page like Peekskill does. It’s really what I see in my mind’s eye. I’m not afraid of hard work but is this a pie in the sky idea? Is there enough help in the Forums where I might be able to pull this off? Is there already a TXP template that roughly does this?

Voice Actor – starting up a site for that good book stuff.

#2 2016-07-26 14:12:29

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Porting from Bootstrap template

BryanA. wrote #300398:

I’m not afraid of hard work but is this a pie in the sky idea?

This really wouldn’t be that. The nice thing about Bootstrap is that it does most of the work – the hard part is the design. When you find a design you like, the hardest part is already done. Getting it to work with Textpattern is easy.

One thing – I noted you mentioned WordPress. The design you linked to is just an html template – the Wordpress version is separate and much more expensive. And actually not what you want – it is actually much more work to convert from WordPress because it has so much extra code.

Is there enough help in the Forums where I might be able to pull this off?

I’ll volunteer. And I am sure there are people who are much better than me who can help.

Is there already a TXP template that roughly does this?

Not that I have seen. But I would recommend looking at Clean Blog for Textpattern which is a Textpattern conversion of Clean Blog to see that want you want to do is very possible.

Also if you have an hour, watch Bootstrap Tutorial to learn a little more about Bootstrap.

#3 2016-07-27 21:32:33

BryanA.

Aha! I only mentioned WordPress in my confusion so we can forget I ever mentioned it. Kudos to your great reply! I wrongly understood Bootstrap to be another CMS solution instead of a toolbox used by CMS solutions.

Now that I know it’s a styling tool of sorts, I’ll stop saying “porting from….” Clean Blog was enlightening.

A quick BIO on me and that site, FoodNewsie is that it’s taken some time off adding to nearly 3 years because I had a son! Now he’s not exactly grown up but I do have more time to get back to the site and the hours it takes to be a food blogger. Currently, “Aperture” is the theme you see there. I always liked it but its age is showing.

Before I get too carried away, I’ll spend a couple weeks filming and editing quick food videos and kitchen how-to’s (it’s still just a hobby) and that will provide some legit content to work with. I’m hoping that we can do this with the current TXP installation and have it appear at a sub-domain like feeds.foodnewsie.com where Bootstrap shapes the output. I’m planning on videos and podcast audio. (Demaning darned audience!)

A sub-domain output seems likely in my imagination, but I’ve never tried anything like this.

Voice Actor – starting up a site for that good book stuff.

#4 2016-07-28 13:56:46

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

BryanA. wrote #300427:

Now that I know it’s a styling tool of sorts, I’ll stop saying “porting from….” Clean Blog was enlightening.

You can now saying “porting to.”

A sub-domain output seems likely in my imagination, but I’ve never tried anything like this.

It kind of depends on how you want to do it and how your hosting company does things.

For instance, at Dreamhost, a subdomain is treated just like a regular domain – located in a completely separate directory inside the user directory. In the case of CMS Styles the site is one install. These two separate subdomains http://www.datebasedarchives.cmsstyles.com/ and http://ampdemo.cmsstyles.com/ are also both separate installs. I’ve used other hosting where any directory could become a subdomain just by constructing the URL.

So most anything can be done but it may just require a different approach.

Edit: I checked and see you are using GoDaddy – it has been a while but I used to manage a site on GoDaddy with subdomains. It shouldn’t be a problem.

Last edited by michaelkpate (2016-07-28 14:00:18)

Board footer