Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2015-12-12 17:47:28

uli

Re: arc_meta - Improve Your SEO

Thanks, Andy :)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#50 2016-02-06 14:00:41

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

Help needed!

For some time now I’ve been quietly developing arc_meta so that it will work on Textpattern 4.6 and make use of the new meta descriptions that come with the next Textpattern release.

I’ve opted to drop the existing description column from the arc_meta table and utilise the descriptions set on the Textpattern tables. As a result the plugin will attempt to migrate existing data over to the Textpattern tables on upgrade. I’ve made this decision as it will make it easier to start using for anyone new to the plugin installing it on Textpattern 4.6 or higher in the future.

If you currently use arc_meta or are testing the 4.6 version of Textpattern that is in development I’d appreciate some help with testing the plugin. Hopefully we can iron out any bugs or issues ready for releasing it in time for the official release of Textpattern 4.6.

You can find the latest beta version of the plugin in the 2.x branch on GitHub along with details about how to use the plugin, install it and upgrade notes.

Things that need testing:-

• Installation/Upgrading from older versions of the plugin
  • Handling of meta descriptions (as there’s been a few changes here)
  • Overriding the context using the new type attribute

If you encounter any problems post an issue on GitHub (or here if you don’t use GitHub, but they will get picked up quicker on there) and if you can I’d really appreciate pull requests for fixes.

Thanks in advance.

#51 2016-07-21 19:16:18

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve just released another beta release of arc_meta for Textpattern 4.6. Thanks to Nicolas Morand for contributing French translations! You can grab v2.0.1-beta here for testing. It’s pretty stable (I think), so should be ready to release a proper version in time for Textpattern 4.6 getting a post-beta release. You can find more details about this release on my blog.

#52 2016-09-14 22:03:27

detail
Website

Hi Andy

Just wondering how this now works with the 4.6 changes.

What does v2 do that 4.6 doesn’t?

I haven’t found a decent explanation as to what new things 4.6 does with the description.

Thanks.

#53 2016-09-15 18:54:13

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

detail wrote #301489:

Just wondering how this now works with the 4.6 changes.

It works pretty much as before, except it now utilises the core Textpattern fields in the database where available (so that new people can easily adopt the plugin).

Both <txp:meta_description /> and <txp:arc_meta_description /> use the meta description column for articles, but this plugin’s version will fallback to a truncated version of the excerpt or body text if no description has been set.

arc_meta allows you to also do things like override the <title> text per article, category, and/or section. For example, on my site I have a section called Blog that I override the meta title for to “Web Development Blog” which is more descriptive of the section for search results.

You can also easily output meta data for sites like Facebook and Twitter using the <txp:arc_meta_open_graph /> and <txp:arc_meta_twitter_card /> tags.

Not sure how well that’s answered your question, the plugin does a lot (more than described here). You can find full documentation of the plugin on Github.

#54 2017-02-19 12:44:52

Gallex

inserted <txp:arc_meta_open_graph /> and <txp:arc_meta_twitter_card /> tags into head , choosed specific image for section, but no image appears into facebook share popup, only title and descripton. but i can see image url in page source. try yourself

and second question: how to attach specific image to article? i can’t see any image field under write tab.

TXP: 4.6.2
PHP: 7.0.1

Last edited by Gallex (2017-02-19 12:47:29)

#55 2017-02-19 17:42:53

bici
Website Mastodon

Gallex wrote #304138:

and second question: how to attach specific image to article? i can’t see any image field under write tab.

on your Write panel do you not see an

Article image Article image I box

where you can add an image?

It is a ways down just above Custom fields

…. texted postive

#56 2017-02-20 08:13:42

Gallex

bici wrote #304140:

on your Write panel do you not see an
where you can add an image?
It is a ways down just above Custom fields

you are right- it’s working! i just thought the plugin will create it’s own image field like it does for title, robots…

#57 2017-02-20 18:29:08

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

Gallex wrote #304138:

inserted <txp:arc_meta_open_graph /> and <txp:arc_meta_twitter_card /> tags into head , choosed specific image for section, but no image appears into facebook share popup, only title and descripton. but i can see image url in page source. try yourself

Apparently the first time someone shares a page on Facebook it doesn’t include the image. There seems to be a few “solutions” knocking about like these on StackOverflow. I’ve not tried any of them yet, but I’ve had similar problems on a non-Textpattern project. If the og:image:width and og:image:height works, then this is perhaps something we could push into the plugin to get it working. Although, a couple of people seem to suggest that answer no longer works. I think I read somewhere that Facebook doesn’t fetch the image data until after someone shares a page, after which it knows how best to render it so further shares work correctly.

#58 2017-02-21 08:09:49

Gallex

i had to use this tool to get image fetching work.

#59 2017-02-24 14:35:20

Gallex

it’s getting more wierd: i cant’ add descriptions any more for sections after plugin installation! just doesn’t saveing it!

#60 2017-02-26 13:48:22

Gallex

Gallex wrote #304255:

it’s getting more wierd: i cant’ add descriptions any more for sections after plugin installation! just doesn’t saving it!

obviously you can’t do it anymore via presentation>sections, but content>sections meta data. correct?

Board footer