Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2016-06-15 17:47:13

alesh
Website

Re: Suggestions for site redesign workflow?

Ok, so for anyone who wants to do this in the future, here is how I got my local dev environment up and running:

1. Install Vagrant, VirtualBox, and Scotch Box
  2. Download the textpattern, images, and js directories and index.php and css.php, copy them to the public folder in ScotchBox
  3. Download my Textpattern database and install it in the local environment (I used PHPmyAdmin and Sequel Pro, respectively.)
  4. Edit config.php with ScotchBox settings at this
  5. Verify that the website is working from 192.168.33.10. It’s a pretty decent idea to make a copy of the whole ScotchBox folder at this point?
  6. Install mem_templates per mrdale
  7. I needed to create a directory and chmod -R 777 it, but then mem_templates was able to export all my existing templates, yay! (Actually it crashed, but not before exporting the pages and forms)
  8. mem_templates exports files with .page and .form extensions. I bulk-renamed them to .txp
  9. Point “rah_flat” at the templates directory (I only used pages and forms) in Txp settings, switch the website to testing mode, and boom!
  10. Initialize a Git repo, and vrooooom!

Now I’m ready to get into some serious front-end stuff.

Yes, I have tried turning it off and on.

#14 2016-06-17 01:11:21

jakob
Admin
Website

Seeing as steps 6, 7 and 8 seem to be an ongoing problem, and I had no luck getting python and mysqldb to function, I had a look at mem_templates and stripped it down to just the export functions, then adapted the export output to the naming conventions and file formats used for rah_flat.

See if this first stab at a template export plugin works more reliably for getting templates out of an existing installation. It will do sections and oui_flat_var site variables too (if present). Compiled txt installers are available in the packages folder of the repo.

There’s also a variable that you can change (in the plugin code for the moment), if you prefer the alternative form naming scheme that Phil and Nicolas are using. See the readme for more details.

Thanks Stef for the last-minute assistance!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2016-06-17 12:49:38

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #299797:

See if this first stab at a template export plugin works more reliably for getting templates out of an existing installation. It will do sections and oui_flat_var site variables too (if present). Compiled txt installers are available in the packages folder of the repo.

OT a little, but nice pug you have there Jacob. Works perfectly for what I’ll need to do soonish.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#16 2017-02-04 18:01:21

bici
Website Mastodon

A somewhat related question. ( I hope this is the right thread to ask)

I have a ten year old site that needs to be updated and made to be simpler and, more importantly, responsive.

I have decided to base the redesign on the Colossus free template. It has many of the design features that match to some of my old site.

But it lacks many crucial CSS pieces that i will have to repurpose from my existing css styles. For example “pull quotes”, under image captions styling, cool footnotes styling and some other text styling.

My question is where should one add/make changes to the text styles etc? There are two CSS files: framework.css and layout.css

The layout css file imports like this:

@import url("fontawesome-4.3.0.min.css");
@import url("custom.flexslider.css");
@import url("framework.css");

I will have to try and reuse some of the text styling from my old site without breaking the responsiveness of the layout while retaining some of the text layout. Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

EDIT: updated to correct URL

Last edited by bici (2017-02-04 18:03:20)

…. texted postive

#17 2017-02-04 18:59:35

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Yes you should use the layout.css file. You can add new styles there and override any styles used in framework.css there too (as it is later in the cascade).

A browser CSS inspector can help decipher what CSS is used where.

Board footer