Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-05-03 13:48:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Inputting special characters (SMP) in the title field

There seems to be a change in behaviour in recent releases where special characters – like trigrams (e.g. ☲), tetragrams and other esoteric things, part. in the SMP (supplementary multilingual plane) – can now be used in the <txp:title /> field. In previous Textpattern releases, this would cause no end of pain (characters swallowed up and some more (an old post of mine). I seem to recall some database or security issues as one of the reasons behind this.

Current Txp 4.6 dev builds have no such problems anymore – those characters are correctly handled (except in the URL-only field, but that is a whole other matter).

The question: is that intentional ?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2016-05-03 15:01:58

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Inputting special characters (SMP) in the title field

phiw13 wrote #298935:

The question: is that intentional ?

Yes, please follow this discussion for details and report back if anything goes west.

#3 2016-05-04 07:39:59

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Inputting special characters (SMP) in the title field

Thanks for the reference. So far things works quite well: putting a ☲ in the Title, Body, Excerpt fields, or the keywords and /or the description fields works well, renders correctly both on the public side and the atom feed. I went through some old (2010, which triggered the above noted forum thread) posts of a site of mine and re-saved them without any issues either.

So, as far as I’m concerned, please continue to go ahead with this :-). It is possible I’ll use that kind of characters again in the near future.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer