Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2016-02-25 13:32:35

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Flarum forum software

candyman wrote #297993:

I would be interesting also a shared DB (for users and login)

I’m not sure about the login variant, but if you just want to bring in data from the forum into txp (i.e. you don’t actually need your users to login to txp or vice-versa) you can use rah_swap and smd_query to retrieve data from the forum and include it in your txp site. The condition is that both databases are on the same host, and you have to build your queries manually with smd_query (which is not as hard as you might think).

I do this to present a members search interface and member profile pages for an association in txp using user data entered via a forum profile manager plugin from vanilla forum.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#38 2016-02-25 14:05:24

Destry
Website

I was just looking at some of the Flarum signup/login extensions, which they have available now for Twitter, GitHub, Facebook, and one or two others… My guess is that’s where “new member” interests will want to go if they see it available; use an account/profile they already have. So I guess you’d have to have a pretty specific use case for funneling them into using a shared Txp account, or whatever. I certainly think CSF audiences will like that better. One less account to create and more familiar to them.

#39 2016-03-20 12:56:56

Destry
Website

Moving this here, because it appears to be an issue with Flarum, not WebFaction…

The scenario is we want to put Flarum behind a directory password-protect to work on both UI and seed threads, etc from our G+ community until the whole thing is acceptable enough to reveal and attract members over.

Initial tests with the WebFaction instructions for it works fine.

However, there seems to be something in the Flarum .htaccess file that undoes WebFaction’s password protection lines, which, of course, makes the whole “private testing” goal impossible. It doesn’t matter if I put the WF lines at top or bottom of the Flarum .htaccess file, the result is the same, it still undoes the login layer.

Posing this question in the Flarum community, the response was “use the admin features to make threads private to a specific group”, for example. The problem with this is we don’t want the out-of-box UI showing at all, not just the threads alone.

So, looks like we’ll have to setup a repo on GitHub, and do the master/local dance for UI needs, and try and figure out how to build an extension for our necessary UI changes. Then we can launch that much and do the threads lock as they suggested for seeding content, etc.

#40 2016-03-20 17:57:59

Destry
Website

I’ll try not to make too many more Flarum posts in here, but if you ever go down the road of building a Flarum extension (could happen some day), the devs seem to offer real-time Q/A help in Gitter, here.

#41 2016-04-07 07:30:47

candyman

I hope some developer will make it: i’d like to have blog&forum with the same signup/login.
Count me for ransom, just in case.

#42 2016-04-19 16:15:15

Destry
Website

We’ve got the CSF discussion boards public now to beta testers only (our content community). But you can see it in action and how we’ve customized it a bit to match our brand. All of our presentation tweaks are nothing but CSS overrides of the core rules (they compile their CSS with LESS, so the overrides make it easier in lack of an extension), which is done via a single editor in admin, just like Textpattern’s Styles panel.

We still want to put a global header bar in, as the image on this post gives an example of, but template mods and new content elements need done with extensions, and there aren’t a lot in the community yet.

Overall, however, I have to say that Flarum is pretty tight at beta5. I can’t imagine they need to do too much more before they launch the first stable release. We’ll see what pops up after more of our beta testers enter the fray, but so far so good.

There’s a new static post extension that came out, so you could, very easily, use Flarum to power a regular website, where discussion posts were blog articles, and followup replies were article comments. Then have the static posts extension take care of About, Contact, etc, etc.

I really like what they’re doing for discussion boards tech. I’m honestly surprised.

#43 2016-04-24 11:06:57

candyman

Nice to see than Flaum can be easily customized, but my goal is to have an unique signup/login for Textpattern (blog) and Flarum (forum). Then I’d migrate blog to Markdown.

Edit: wait, CSF is runnig on TXP?!? So did you get to join the signup/login forms?

Last edited by candyman (2016-04-24 11:08:56)

#44 2016-04-26 07:07:44

Destry
Website

candyman wrote #298793:

CSF is runnig on TXP?!? So did you get to join the signup/login forms?

No, we have not integrated the accounts machinery. For us there is no need. Our article contributions in the main site is a vastly different process than people just having discussions in the community, so the separation makes sense in our case. Plus, I like the ability to let people sign up to the boards using their Twitter, Facebook, GitHub, or whatever accounts, which provides a bit more incentive to do so for those on the fence who don’t want to create yet another account.

That said, I have read in the Flarum boards of people integrating with their company systems, so it can be done. I’ve also seen talk about extensions to do the same thing for individual blog systems — notably WP so far. Nothing available yet, though.

Board footer