Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-04-19 03:21:35

skewray
Website

Switching Web Hosts

My web hosting (Bluehost) just commenced its last swirl down the toilet. I’ve stuck with it for years out of laziness. My Textpattern web pages can go pretty much anywhere, but I have a complicated email setup where I have 200+ aliases that all forward to a few accounts, and I ssh tunnel in to send out email with forged addresses matching those aliases.

So my first question: Is there any reason to have email on the same service as web hosting, and if not, how do I go about getting them pried apart? Second, where can I get something similar to the email setup I have (now provided by cpanel for forwarding and a script for sending)? I rather like the mindlessness of cpanel, but could do without.

I would, of course, prefer to get all this under one provider, but that may be asking too much from the better web hosting services listed in the sticky thread. Or is it?

Brian

#2 2016-04-19 04:39:43

skewray
Website

Re: Switching Web Hosts

I think I already figured out all of my questions: FastMail.

#3 2016-04-19 08:22:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

skewray wrote #298685:

I think I already figured out all of my questions: FastMail.

+1. I’m in the process of migrating to FastMail (Postfix issues notwithstanding) and it’s great so far. I know Pete Cooper swears by them too.

Incidentally, if you ever fancy taking the plunge and hosting your own sites, DigitalOcean have droplets for $5 a month (paid per month, as you go) which is an absolute steal. With some quite a bit of help from Pete, I’m about to take the plunge and, so far, everything in my test environment is running itself. Updates are happening automatically, the SSD takes less than 15 seconds to reboot when necessary, my domain registrar is handling forwarding of emails to FastMail from my hundreds of forwarding accounts, and I’m investigating automated Percona (MySQL) backups.

I can’t praise DigitalOcean highly enough, Their docs are brilliant too: pretty much everything you’ll ever want to do is covered and has a step-by-step tutorial, which for hosting luddites like me is fab.

Give Pete a shout if you do want to try this as he has a promo code which gives you $10 of credit (2 months free hosting!) and after a few months, he gets a rebate too which pays for some of his Txp demo site hosting: a worthy cause if ever there was one.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2016-04-20 02:48:19

jstubbs
Website

Fastmail is indeed excellent, the only downside is the awful UI in parts (especially the manage pane for business accounts), but they are slowly improving it.

Digital Ocean is also excellent but I think its better suited for developer types as it requires the user to manage most aspects of the server. For managed hosting, I’d recommend WebFaction.

But definitely its a good idea to use a professional email service.

Board footer