Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-02-25 13:59:58

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

The state of web design

A nice little article by Sarah Parmenter on the state of web design now which some of you may be able to relate to.

I also think that the final paragraph is very relevant to the txp community:

Our power has always been in our web community – we are exceptionally good at creating movements and solving things, as a community. It’s time to dig deep and put as much time and effort into helping our community as we once did fixing browser quirks all those years ago.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2016-02-26 09:46:40

Algaris

Re: The state of web design

That’s very interesting. I’ve never actually freelanced before. In the 14 years I’ve been in the industry I’ve always had a web design/development role within a company. I’ve worked for a retail store, a couple of schools, a museum and an IT support company.

In my last job I experienced this in reverse. After six years my employer decided to outsource all of my web development work and hire a social media guy who could talk to the press, write press releases, work with Google Ad Words and has enough web experience to update WordPress and tinker with HTML. Since then I’ve side-stepped into e-Learning, where I’m putting my experience into updating the companies Moodle site, Intranet, and Office 365 setup.

Last edited by Algaris (2016-02-26 09:54:00)

#3 2016-02-27 09:24:24

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Algaris wrote #298019:

After six years my employer decided to outsource all of my web development work and hire a social media guy who could talk to the press, write press releases, work with Google Ad Words and has enough web experience to update WordPress and tinker with HTML.

Your story sounds very familiar. It seems that web2 has killed design.In contrast architecture where originality is currently flourishing (with designers like OMA, MRDV, Morphosis, Zaha Hadid, etc), sometimes totally negating function, webdesign is currently enslaved by search engines, marketeers and social media.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2016-02-27 18:01:51

bici
Website Mastodon

The tide will turn and web design will flourish yet again once the “social” fad has rendered everyone down to bland.

…. texted postive

Board footer