Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2016-02-02 15:53:51

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: End of support for Textile in GitHub Pages (Jekyll) 1st May 2016

Do you use Textile with Jekyll? If so, how often?

Interesting results but I don’t see how many participated.

#14 2016-02-02 15:59:41

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #297694:

So will all of these Converters still be available?

Yes, they will still be available for Jekyll sites you host yourself. It’s the GitHub Pages hosted Jekyll sites where they are stripping the support (they also already prevent running of any Jekyll plugins on the GitHub Pages hosted version of Jekyll for security reasons, which makes it a limited platform for all but the most basic blog sites).

The only reason I’m using GitHub Pages/Jekyll at all is because GitHub was a good place to collaboratively host the Textpattern help documentation as Textile files and also serve them as a functioning website. Now that plan has to be rethought.

#15 2016-02-02 18:17:25

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

philwareham wrote #297696:

Yes, they will still be available for Jekyll sites you host yourself. It’s the GitHub Pages hosted Jekyll sites where they are stripping the support (they also already prevent running of any Jekyll plugins on the GitHub Pages hosted version of Jekyll for security reasons, which makes it a limited platform for all but the most basic blog sites).

I get it now. GitHub Pages are like WordPress.com – it gives you most of the functionality of the self-hosted version but lacks the customization options.

#16 2016-02-02 19:58:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

monkeyninja wrote #297690:

Can you not also do ```` on the line before and after a block of code?

Ah, maybe. Never spotted that, thanks for the tip. That might take the edge off.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#17 2016-02-02 20:34:33

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #297705:

Ah, maybe. Never spotted that, thanks for the tip. That might take the edge off.

Just realised I got that a little wrong, it should be just ```. On GitHub you can append the opening quotes with the language for syntax highlighting like this:-

```php
echo 'hello world';
```

#18 2016-02-02 20:36:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

monkeyninja wrote #297706:

you can append the opening quotes with the language for syntax highlighting like this:-

Neat. Great tip, thanks again.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#19 2016-02-13 15:00:19

Destry
Website

monkeyninja wrote #297689:

Does anyone know how widely used Textile is these days beyond the Textpattern community?

The Textile wikipedia page gives some sparse examples. Nothing on the scale of Markdown, of course. But then a big part of the problem for Textile is it doesn’t have hyped up and active committee behind it like Markdown does, which is kind of a shame. This is the best we have. Talent is there, just no interest, apparently.

philwareham wrote #297691:

Another benefit of using Markdown is the hundreds of toolbars that are available for it which we could harness, as discussed in this thread and a pet gripe of mine that nothing like that exists in the core of Textpattern. Textile toolbar options are few and far between.

Like a lot of us here, I’m sentimental about Textile too (I’m still going to publish that Medium article, however pointless it will be), But I can use both equally well and have no problem with Markdown. At this point any good writer/editor should be able to use both, and be unbiased about it either way. They are just tools in the box to get the job done by whatever context and collaboration is needed.

Let’s ask the fair and reasonable question, and give it the open-minded consideration it deserves…

Is it time to make Markdown the default markup language for Textpattern?

Seriously. That could be a real tide-turner in terms of new interest and adoption. Support both, but make Textile the one added by extra filter rather than default. So people install the filter and backwards compatibility is a moot point (in theory).

#20 2016-02-13 17:32:20

bici
Website Mastodon

The adoption of Markdown seems very reasonable to me. I have no sentimental ties to Textile

…. texted postive

#21 2016-02-13 18:55:29

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

4.6 is feature complete now, this should be a serious discussion for future though.

Board footer