Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2016-02-08 16:50:15

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Rebuilding the Textpattern demo site

I must have overlooked the mention of a dashboard as part of the core (in future). My point with the dashboard was another: to be effective / attractive as a demo, it should (in my opinion):

• demo some typical situation, e.g. a blog, a portfolio, some kind of typical mini site
  • provide some kind of invitation / orientation at the backend to explore how it works, where to do what …

I think that makes a demo much more effective than an (almost) blank slate site and an empty write page as login greeting (as nice as it is for regular users).

But … I also know that’s more work – :-/ – so it sits somewhere between must have (to be effective) and nice to have (because probably not immediately available).

(BTW: Imogen has long hair – very windy in central Germany too)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2016-02-08 17:02:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #297810:

demo some typical situation, e.g. a blog, a portfolio, some kind of typical mini site

Ah, so instead of just saying “Try Textpattern v4.6” it offers you options of trying:

• Textpattern v4.6 as a blog with comments
  • Textpattern v4.6 as a corporate site
  • Textpattern v4.6 as a tumblelog
  • Textpattern v4.60-dev as a blank slate

And each one has a different set of default content and maybe back-end options? That’s probably what Pete meant in the OP when he referenced “different versions with as-released content” but I was too dim to figure out what he meant. sigh, long day.

As you were.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2016-02-08 17:15:18

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Isn’t that all tied to 4.7 though? With the skins work and (to be discussed) dummy content – think how WordPress themes can optionally install placeholder content to the database to structure/display the theme properly – this is quite fundamental to displaying a corporate site skin, as opposed to a blog skin, or whatever skin, as no two themes are going to feasibly have interchangeable content as they are so structurally different (at least, I can’t see a way that could work).

#16 2016-02-08 17:57:11

jakob
Admin
Website

Bloke wrote #297811:

Ah, so instead of just saying “Try Textpattern v4.6” it offers you options of trying … and each one has a different set of default content and maybe back-end options?

Sounds great, but really I meant it much simpler… (also in the interests of it remaining feasible)

I was thinking of just one demo that is a bit more fully-fledged than the one-page start configuration so that you get to play about with a typical site. Thinking aloud:

• Maybe something like a typical portfolio site with an about section and blog section: you get to show how sections work, how categories work (for portfolio types), how images are linked in, how comments work and how a link list works, how monthly archives work, and pretty much all of that can be done with standard tags (give or take).
  • As “icing on the cake” an admin-side dashboard (smd_tabber) with, I dunno, “recent articles”, “new comments”, “latest images”, possibly some standard tasks like “write an article”, “show portfolio items” (=article list by section), “add a new image” etc. That’s the kind of thing I set up from time to time for clients.

#17 2016-02-08 18:22:24

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote #297810:

(BTW: Imogen has long hair – very windy in central Germany too)

I shot this video about an hour ago, about a mile from my house. It’s usually more like this photo (both safe for work).

Bloke wrote #297811:

And each one has a different set of default content and maybe back-end options? That’s probably what Pete meant in the OP when he referenced “different versions with as-released content” […].

As I interpret it, there are a few demographics that this site will serve:

• Textpattern users who need to test/try/break something quickly, without the barrier to entry of building a test setup.
  • Textpattern users who want to test/try/break something on a blank canvas, without the barrier to entry of building a test setup.
  • “Huh, Textpattern, what’s that? Oh, look — a demo.” (without the barrier to entry of building a test setup)

Phase one is rebuilding the server with:

• stable release, as-released
  • dev release, as-is

Get that done & secure, squirt it to another couple of servers around the world, and move to phase two:

• stable release, zero content
  • dev release, zero content

That’s achievable with some SQL. Should be straightforward. After that:

• stable release, plenty of demo content
  • dev release, ?plenty of demo content, perhaps

That’s SQL and shell script territory, once the content has been decided.

#18 2016-02-08 18:42:13

jakob
Admin
Website

gaekwad wrote #297815:

I shot this video about an hour ago, about a mile from my house. It’s usually more like this photo (both safe for work).

Wow! Dramatic video. Nice corner of the world you live in. No sea here for 500 km…

Everything else sounds good.

Board footer