Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2016-01-22 16:08:42

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: affinity serif

philwareham wrote #297537:

This, basically. And if you decide to go with another DTP app then you are going to have to supply PDFs to the printers anyway. Adobe’s apps are pretty much industry standard, which is good or bad depending on your stance. We do a lot of packaging design so Illustrator is essential to our workflow, I also use InDesign pretty much every day after converting from QuarkXpress about 10 years ago, so the £37 a month per user is fairly good value for us (given you also get the whole Adobe app suite and TypeKit too).

You can stick with CS5 indefinitely if you save PDFs to the Pass4Press or GWG specs depending on target media. Or even just saving as PDF/X-1a:2001 setting built into InDesign is good enough, as every printer I’ve dealt with will accept that format.

If your printers have the luxury of a Colorsync workflow then you can ask them for a profile or full PDF settings file. From experience though, using the specs mentioned above is good enough, because they can append profiles to a supplied PDF in their RIP anyway.

Also, keep all your images as RGB where possible and let the printers do the colour conversion in-RIP to get the correct black levels and ink saturations.

Thanks Phil. Yesterday the printer sent colour profiles for output to PDF. Thye had specified tha tall photos should be in CMYK or Grayscale.

I sounds like the printer can also adjust PDF files… which i thought was fixed once sent it in. that is why i wanted them to have the indd files for any adjustments. I will probably stick with CS5 until the bitter end. and then give up page layout work.

ill give Designer a go as i was not that much of a power user of Illustrator . Does Designer have Trace options? output to svg?

…. texted postive

#14 2016-01-22 23:15:03

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: affinity serif

bici wrote #297540:

Does Designer have Trace options? output to svg?

Output to SVG: yes (of course) – although I’d like it to use style elements in the head instead inline styles or attributes; running the resulting file through a SVG optimiser corrects that. But perhaps I’m missing a option somewhere.

I haven’t found a trace option, yet.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer