Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-01-21 15:38:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Pushing CSS and the DOM... for gaming?!

Crazy. Here’s a rudimentary game in pure HTML+CSS and SVG, along with an explanation of how he did it (in French, but Google translate does a passable job). I’d say it reminds me of the second part of Horace Goes Skiing on the ZX Spectrum, but that would be showing my age.

If you want to cheat and slow it down, use the Chrome inspector to change the CSS rules that contain 10s to something like 20s.

There’s also Shoot the birds which might raise a knowing smile on the face of anyone who remembers Operation Wolf.

If you don’t mind a bit of Javascript thrown in with your 3D CSS transforms (again, only good on Chrome), you could try Space Shooter. No graphics files, it’s all HTML, SVG and CSS, with JS for the interaction and streamed Web Audio from SoundCloud. In fact, all of Michael Bromley’s projects are technically fascinating (Chromata is impressive). As are the experiments into CSS light and shadow by Keith Clark (of Selectivizr fame).

All interesting stuff for people who like to see technology abused to breaking point. Y’know, just because it can.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2016-01-21 16:02:55

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Pushing CSS and the DOM... for gaming?!

I’ve been following these web developments for some time now but I have to admit that I did not get into the gaming side of them.

Here are some links which need Chrome to work – the first two are by Chris Milk and the other 2 by Vincent Morisset

www.thewildernessdowntown.com/
www.thejohnnycashproject.com/
www.justareflektor.com (works best on desktop WITH the use of a smart phone)
www.sprawl2.com/

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2016-01-21 20:30:08

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Pushing CSS and the DOM... for gaming?!

Thank you for sharing.
Very interesting. Bookmarking this page!

Board footer