Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-01-14 10:22:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

dada mail

Did any of you experiment with dada mail?

I’m still looking for a self hosted way to migrate our postmaster subscribers.

I also looked at phplist, the first newsletter app I used over 10 years ago and although it offers a lot of features I am worried about the fck editors.

I also checked mailchimp etc but discussion here resulted in keeping our mailing list in house.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2016-01-14 10:31:33

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Re: dada mail

Hi

I tryed phplist a long time ago but it was diffuclt to manage and i got problems with my hosting limitations! then i switched to mailchimp and mailjet it s less trouble for me.

There is also https://sendy.co/ you can check for a self hosted emailing software.

Cheers.

#3 2016-01-14 11:22:02

kees-b
Website

colak wrote #297377:

Did any of you experiment with dada mail?

Yes I’m using dadamail’s ProDada for two self hosted lists. The newest versions are quiet easy to install. Take care that some providers throttle outgoing mail for speed and volume. We are using a dedicated smtp server for this reason. Justin Simoni the developer is very helpful and responded within minutes when we had and error popping up after a server upgrade. Dadamail requires some perl libraries on the server. Most missing ones it can install itsself, but not all, like DBD:mysql.

Kees

#4 2016-01-14 11:24:05

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I used to use PHPlist years ago but not any more. I wouldn’t recommend mass mailing from your own server/ISP either – if you get blacklisted then it’s very troublesome to then fix again.

MailChimp all the way for me now.

#5 2016-01-14 12:40:24

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

philwareham wrote #297380:

I used to use PHPlist years ago but not any more. I wouldn’t recommend mass mailing from your own server/ISP either – if you get blacklisted then it’s very troublesome to then fix again.

MailChimp all the way for me now.

We’ve been using self hosted newsletters for over 10 years now and we’ve been very careful as to what we send out and to who. Our list is made up of subscribers who can opt out at any point. We did indeed get some complaints (from about 15 gmail users) regarding our emails ending up in the junk, but as a whole we had no major problems except for the compatibility of postmaster in later txp versions, which, if it was updated, we would not be looking for an alternative.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2016-01-15 16:04:31

Alex McKee
Website

I like Sendy. Although designed to work with SES, it can also be used for sending email via the system email daemon or custom SMTP server too.

I built a plugin for Textpattern Sendy integration but it is not publicly released. I could always release it if there is interest.

Edit: I see Dragondz mentioned Sendy too.

Board footer