Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-01-14 00:29:55

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Main column of the prefs panel has become too narrow

On not-so-large screens the main column of the prefs panel is quite narrow and hard to read.

As a result of this commit, the sub panels now take up only half the screen / window space, which is quite narrow when your browser window is ~1100px wide (that is my average window width – or think an iPad or similar in landscape orientation). I eventually understand the reasoning behind this change (it does help improving legibility a little for quite large screens / windows), however it is far from an ideal solution.

An alternate solution (with bonus: it keeps the layout grid stable, always fill the space (main) with the equivalent of for basic block units, handy for those who use flexbox to control the layout):

1. revert that commit (and)
  2. set a max-width on each panel-group (.txp-prefs-group), something like matching the .txp-edit panels, for example

(that is what I’ve done for Sandspace, fwiw.)

PS – alternate background colours for rows, or, using a thin line separator (my preferred solution) between each row does wonder to improve legibility of this kind of structure

.txp-edit .txp-form-field + div,
.txp-prefs-group .txp-form-field + div {
		border-top: 1px dotted hsl(0,0%,75%);
}

extracted from my Sandspace theme as an example; add a little padding on top to better balance things.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2016-01-14 12:49:59

Destry
Website

Re: Main column of the prefs panel has become too narrow

Perhaps instead of zebra striping the preference rows (since the Preferences sub panel menu is already striped), or adding additional lines, why not align labels right so they clearly associate with their field controls? Wouldn’t bother me, and the usability is better.

#3 2016-01-14 13:37:16

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@Destry,

Hmm, that is another option, of course. I still think that having a separator between rows will help somehow, given the long lists of options in each subgroup of the prefs panel.
I vaguely remember trying that (aligning the labels to the right, I mean) out in the past, with an older version of Textpattern (4.3 maybe ?) and it did’t work well at all then. Not sure why, perhaps the general layout did’t lend itself well. Oh, and of course those where very long lists back then, barely interrupted by some subheadings.

Of course this won’t fix the original issue of the width of the column…

#4 2016-01-14 15:30:57

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve reverted this commit now, prefs column should be back to it’s original width now.

#5 2016-01-14 22:39:24

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Thank you.

Board footer