Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-10-13 10:04:24

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Textpattern as a Business - A Brief History

colak wrote #295661:

that would be fine but what happens if someone does not have a twitter account?

It could be a problem off course.

We could
  1. propose to pay with a tweet or a Facebook post (you still need at least one account);
  2. display a preformated tweet popup to encourage people to share (is that really efficacious?).

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#14 2015-10-13 10:15:10

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

For me there is no twitter, nor facebook:), just G+. I guess it could be that the popup could allow for any social media. The problem is that there are people who just don’t use social media at all.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#15 2015-10-13 10:23:16

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #295663:

…there are people who just don’t use social media at all.

I thought that people who would be interresting by downloading Txp would be social connected in any way, but you are right, we can’t be sure and any restriction would be bad… ‘was just a thought.

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#16 2015-10-13 11:01:32

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Speaking as a sole trader with 10+ years of experience running businesses, I cannot see a way Textpattern will ever become a viable business in the vein of Automattic/Ghost/etc because of the history.

Think about it – the code was originally written by Dean Allen, and he technically still owns the copyright (note, please, I am not a lawyer) despite the various changes and modifications over the years, wherever he may be. I’m almost 100% certain he’s not going to come out and starting calling the shots, but there’s a slim chance that may happen.

My take on making a successful business, and I’m not going to get drawn down the rabbit hole on this because I’m already busy on other stuff, is along the lines of:

• make a user- and developer-friendly, highly-capable CMS that runs atop a CDN
  • charge a recurring fee for it, and make it attractive enough to be a long-term buy thing
  • put money back into hosting and further development with full-time developers
  • make it available to self-host for keen people to use and improve
  • rinse and repeat

That’s been done. Automattic did it, they have the user-friendly focus and there’s virtually nothing left from the original fork of b2 where Wordpress came from. There are more developers and plugin authors on Wordpress than total end users of Textpattern, I’m sure. The only people that care about the relative bloat of Wordpress core code compared to – say – Textpattern core code are developers. Users just don’t care.

Textpattern, Inc won’t happen. And that’s fine. I’m kinda glad it hasn’t, actually. Something that’s heavily-influenced by Textpattern without all the history would be a far more viable business model.

#17 2015-10-13 23:53:38

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #295663:

The problem is that there are people who just don’t use social media at all.

I don’t use Social Media, I’m social enough with my websites.

Why would I add content to somebody else’s database?

What’s the payoff?

Board footer