Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-10-12 00:53:21

towndock
Website

Re: Misused discussion "Is the development of Textpattern at the end?"

My apologies GugUser – it is one of those things that may not translate well.

What I meant was this: A year and a half ago when you asked the question – it was valid. To start another thread with that in the title now, just seems disrespectful of what is going on. This weekend Textpattern devs (and others) met, and communicated here on the forum that in the coming week a post will provide info the Textpattern future road map. The devs works for free. There is development action going on. A more positive reaction may be helpful.

Meanwhile, when one visits the forum, they are greeted by a post title that suggests doom & gloom.

Hopefully the upcoming road map post will change a title to something like “Textpattern Development in 2015 & 2016”.

#14 2015-10-12 01:33:23

GugUser

jakob: I appreciate all your posts in this forum. They are always well-founded, detailed, friendly and helpful. Maybe I’m waisting time (what means “flogging a dead horse” from your link to the translation). I think I understand what has been written in this thread, and I think some write their own thing without read what it was about.

towndock: So I can continue with the reply to your post. Please read what I had written. Actually I have not asked related to the development of Textpattern, but I do not agree that “my” thread is used to argue or insulting.

I had tried to explain that. Hopefully it’s understandable, I think it is in my lines, even though I’m not a master in English. It seems to me we have a misunderstanding.

Fine, no more waisting of time.

#15 2015-10-12 03:23:14

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

GugUser wrote #295610:

Sorry, but I do not understand your argument, and the others above neither. Maybe you can read what happened before the other thread was closed. That has nothing to do with my person.

GugUser, towndock was referring to something Wikipedia calls the Loaded question.

#16 2015-10-12 14:02:13

Destry
Website

GugUser wrote #295617:

I do not agree that “my” thread is used to argue or insulting.

I had tried to explain that. Hopefully it’s understandable, I think it is in my lines, even though I’m not a master in English. It seems to me we have a misunderstanding.

Gug, we all understand that, and nobody here sees closing that thread as anything to do with you or your original question about Txp development.

But, you should also understand something as a forum participant… it’s rather common protocol in forum communities (this one and most others) that when a thread goes off topic for the worse, as your thread did, then it’s reasonable for a moderator to close the topic to cool everyone off and move on, especially when the original question had already been addressed, as was the case.

Closing the thread was not meant to be disrespectful to the original poster (you). In fact, in these situations, the original poster generally understands what’s going on and doesn’t take it personally or get defensive. They generally abide by the moderator’s decision. All perfectly normal.

There are times when forum moderators can abuse their roles, it happens (though I’ve never really seen it in this forum, IMO), and they get called out on it. But that certainly wasn’t the case here, nor should moderators get called out on every decision they make. (If that’s going to be the case, I hand in my moderator role right now.) It might not have been absolutely necessary to close the thread, but the conversation had definitely come to an end and there was no point in starting it again, or raising ire at the moderator.

In fact, nowhere in this thread have you even addressed the original issue you’ve been so adamant about defending — Textpattern development

But…

Fine, no more waisting of time.

It seems you have recognized that now. ;)

Last edited by Destry (2015-10-12 14:26:03)

#17 2015-10-12 15:23:11

candyman

In my community, when a discussion went off topic, I was used to cut away the posts with insults etc. and create another thread with these, cleaning the original one without deleting or closing it.
I don’t know if this is possible with FluxBB.

Last edited by candyman (2015-10-12 15:25:48)

#18 2015-10-12 15:54:19

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

^^ that used to be possible with the old forum software, but as as a moderator I can only remove posts now, not move them to a different topic. Moving them would be useful if someone asks a question about a plugin outside the plugin support thread.

#19 2015-10-12 16:28:24

Destry
Website

I think what candyman means is removing the individual posts within in a thread that are off-target and leaving a more focused thread. That is possible, as is just editing the posts, as Uli has done, which is probably better than outright deletion. Either way a moderator should say when they’ve done so, just as they would say when closing a thread.

The question, probably, is when is it better to close a thread vs. delete an individual reply vs. edit said reply. The type of moderator action likely depends on the nature of the problem, and the given moderator.

In this case, the resulting two-step action taken — 1) edit (Uli) and 2) close (Phil) — were individual moderator choices, which though didn’t follow any written conduct anywhere, were not something anyone should get bent out of shape about it. They were indeed acts of mercy. ;)

Seriously, though, if this is confusing to people, then maybe Txp finally needs some forum conduct guidelines posted. Whatever.

#20 2015-10-12 16:56:46

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #295645:

They were indeed acts of mercy. ;)

Another day, some mustache twisting, another time.

#21 2015-10-12 19:45:53

candyman

Maybe I haven’t explained well what I wanted.

I think that (if possible) was better leave the original thread open with all the posts until my latest one and move the consequents posts into another section, giving them another thread title (Get in the Ring, for example). The new thread should’ve start with this comment by Bert.

In this case, the original thread would have been safe and the people interested could have continued to insult each other in a creative way, without using the forbidden words. It could also have be interesting :)

Last edited by candyman (2015-10-12 19:51:42)

#22 2015-10-12 21:46:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

candyman wrote #295649:

I think .. giving them another thread title (Get in the Ring) … should’ve start with this comment by Bert.

You’ll have to meet my purse requirements, and then our managers have to iron out the rules.

I agree with candyman, split off the diversion into it’s own thread and re-open GugUser’s original post, which has 17,972 views.

#23 2015-10-12 22:12:01

Destry
Website

candyman wrote #295649:

Maybe I haven’t explained well what I wanted.

I think I see now, and I think Ruud had it write. I had it wrong.

I think that (if possible) was better leave the original thread open with all the posts until my latest one and move the consequents posts into another section, giving them another thread title (Get in the Ring, for example). The new thread should’ve start with this comment by Bert.

It’s unfortunate the thread resurfaced to begin with, since it’s evident what the current state of development is. Everything after that has been a waste of time and energy. Certainly on my part.

without using the forbidden words.

I will sing praise to the kama- futra whenever I want to. “Forbidden words”… Lol! It’s time to lay down some Reggie Watts and get real.

Board footer