Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-10-20 07:06:18

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: How do I set up keywords for my website?

colak wrote:

Also image title tags are no longer necessary for SEO.

Perhaps worth mentioning at this stage that although some search engines ignore alt/title tags for images, if you want W3C compliant HTML then they are required for some doctypes. I had a very late night last and I’m worse for wear this morning, so this could be a figment of my hungover brain, however.

#14 2011-10-20 07:26:30

jakob
Admin
Website

Thanks for the various links and general good sense in this thread, Doug.

douglgm wrote:

See: The Meta Keywords Tag Lives At Bing & Why Only Spammers Should Use It

I hadn’t seen that one before but I find it a bit sensationalist – as if Bing has made the sweeping judgement that all keyworders are now spammers. It’s worth reading the postscript at the end of the message which is more level-headed (credits to the author for updating the post). I’d hate to have to go back through past sites and remove relevant keywords…

Regarding the “title” attribute, I agree with you that it has other useful uses.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2011-10-20 07:33:35

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote:

Regarding the “title” attribute, I agree with you that it has other useful uses.

I know you are far more skilled at this kind of thing than I, jakob, but this may be of use to you: Context-sensitive <title>

#16 2011-10-20 08:11:53

douglgm
Website

jakob wrote:

I hadn’t seen that one before but I find it a bit sensationalist – as if Bing has made the sweeping judgement that all keyworders are now spammers. It’s worth reading the postscript at the end of the message which is more level-headed (credits to the author for updating the post). I’d hate to have to go back through past sites and remove relevant keywords…

I agree that this is a bit sensationalist! Obviously the headline is writted to get “eyeballs!”

I think it’s probably worth checking your keywords if you’re working on any old sites etc. I’ve seen sites that automatically display tags in the meta-keywords and these can look a bit spammy!

If you’re working with a client something like this might help see him that not only is stuffing keywords in the meta-keywords pretty pointless, but could act as a negative signal.

The problem I normally face is getting people to understand that they need to be a little cleaver about the keywords they’re targeting, but that’s another story!

#17 2011-10-20 08:35:26

jakob
Admin
Website

If you’re working with a client something like this might help see him that not only is stuffing keywords in the meta-keywords pretty pointless, but could act as a negative signal.

Yup, well summarised.

The problem I normally face is getting people to understand that they need to be a little cleaver about the keywords they’re targeting, but that’s another story!

How often do you find that clients write copy with (sensible) keywords in mind? How much do you end up adjusting their copy, or do you rewrite or outsource the copywriting with keyword alignment as an explicit requirement?

but this may be of use to you: Context-sensitive <title>

Thanks Pete. Yes, I use something similar to that for the page title tag. I meant the title attribute for images, links, etc. (and I think you meant that too in your earlier post). I don’t think that the title attribute is explicitly required for W3C compliance but, as you say, that the alt attribute is. W3C detail some recommendations for image alt and title attribute usage for the html5 doctype (and probably for other doctypes too).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#18 2011-10-20 09:28:31

douglgm
Website

jakob wrote:

How often do you find that clients write copy with (sensible) keywords in mind? How much do you end up adjusting their copy, or do you rewrite or outsource the copywriting with keyword alignment as an explicit requirement?

I wish I had clients with the budget to outsource their content/copywriting!

I’ve had everything from conversations with marketing/communications teams who insist on putting content into “marketing/corporate speak” to individual bloggers who really need lots of basic guidance.

I tend to work with the site owners to create some initial content with good on-page optimisation that’s easily digestible by humans. While I’m doing it, I’ll explain what I’m doing and why.

Depending on the project, I may help them develop a (simple) keyword / web marketing strategy.

Once the site is delivered, I’ll keep an eye on it and send the client some helpful advice/tips if I see that they need it! It can do wonders for “customer satisfaction!”

It’s hard for people to take an external view and think about how people will be looking for their content. Getting them to think about the questions that their content answers and wording things appropriately can take some work.

I try to get them to understand that all their efforts writing good content would be much more worthwhile if people were actually finding it, reading it, sharing it etc!

A little bit of good guidance can go a long way.

I’d be interested in hearing about other people’s approaches.

#19 2011-10-20 10:05:29

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote:

Yes, I use something similar to that for the page title tag. I meant the title attribute for images, links, etc. (and I think you meant that too in your earlier post). I don’t think that the title attribute is explicitly required for W3C compliance but, as you say, that the alt attribute is.

Ah, mea culpa – it was clearly too early in the morning for me to contribute in a meaningful fashion! :)

#20 2015-09-22 18:49:33

Sgordon

My Textpattern website is down. I’m getting this error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘yield’ (T_YIELD), expecting ‘(’ in /hermes/waloraweb046/b574/pow.sgordon1/htdocs/textpattern/publish/taghandlers.php on line 274.

I’m not a developer and the Textpattern person who did my site is now working fulltime and can’t help.

Any suggestions for how I can fix this? Thanks so much for your help!

#21 2015-09-22 18:51:37

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Upgrade to the most recent TXP version. That should fix the error.

#22 2015-09-22 18:55:07

uli

Hi, Sgordon, and welcome to the Textpattern forum.

Looks like your host recently upgraded PHP. Please search the forum for Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘yield’ (T_YIELD), there are three topics, all of them labelled “solved”.

Edit: Ruud was faster and surely has the better advice ;)

Last edited by uli (2015-09-22 18:56:50)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer