Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-08-13 10:19:00

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

kuo_analytics (Google Analytics for Textpattern)

This free plugin will add a new tab to Textpattern’s Extensions section. From there Publishers and other user groups who are granted access can view certain Google Analytics stats.

Installing in 3½ minutes

1. Download the package.
  2. Unzip it and locate the Textpattern plugin file kuo_analytics_v0.1_zip.txt.
  3. Install the plugin in Textpattern’s “Plugins” section.
  4. Upload from the downloaded package the whole folder called kuo_analytics to your website’s root so it’s located somewhere like: http://www.yoursite.com/kuo_analytics/.
  5. Go to the plugin’s tab in “Textpattern” -> “Extensions” -> “Analytics” and click “How to install?” at the bottom.
  6. From the “How to install?” page you can find a unique JSON file name. Please copy that file name.
  7. Then go to Google Developers Console.
  8. Create a new project.
  9. For that project enable “Analytics API” (screenshot).
  10. Then create credentials for it by clicking “Credentials” and “Create Client ID” (screenshot)
  11. Click “Download JSON” (screenshot)
  12. Rename the JSON file.
  13. Upload it to your website’s root inside folder kuo_analytics.
  14. Plugin should now be ready for action.

Last edited by kuopassa (2015-08-17 09:22:07)

#2 2015-08-13 15:30:23

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: kuo_analytics (Google Analytics for Textpattern)

Looking forward to the finished product

…. texted postive

#3 2015-08-14 05:46:06

jakob
Admin
Website

Looks great, kuopassa! I’ve always wanted to be able to provide some basic edited stats for site admins. The Google Analytics pages are powerful and complex but for most normal users overwhelming and hard to understand. Usually, only selected areas of the stats are relevant for a given site, so if your plugin’s output is tailorable, that would make GA’s stats much more useful… I_m also looking forward to seeing the final version surface.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2015-08-15 00:39:15

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks for showing interest towards this project. :-)

There’s initially going to be a very simple user group system to control what data Textpattern users can access. It’s split in two parts: Overview and Detailed reports. Overview includes only very basic stats and Detailed has for example AdSense stats (if the site is using it and if AdSense-Analytics accounts are allowed to share data).

#5 2015-08-15 05:35:05

jstubbs
Website

Looks very nice Petri! Any plans to extend this later to other options such as Piwik? Look forward to seeing the finished plugin.

#6 2015-08-17 03:19:09

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks, jstubbs. :-] No plans for Piwik, at least not yet.

#7 2015-08-17 09:19:33

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

First post is now updated with the download link and instructions. Installing this might at first seem complex but it’s actually quite easy and fast.

#8 2015-08-28 15:08:57

maniqui
Website

hi kuopassa.
Thanks for this plugin. I was able to install it yesterday, although I encountered some minor issues doing so.

First, the screenshots on the “How to install?” related to Google Developers Console look outdated. It seems Google has updated its UI.

Second, the help text for the “Analytics View ID” field on plugin settings reads:

Should be a numerical value. You can find the View ID by signing in to your Analytics account, selecting Admin tab and then choosing the desired Analytics account from “Account” column, after which select the desired property from “Property” column, and finally clicking under “Property” option called “Tracking Info”.

But that’s not where I found it. I’ve found the View ID under the View Settings (screenshot 1, screenshot 2).

That’s all I’ve to report back.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#9 2015-08-28 15:57:30

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks for taking the time to write feedback. It’s really useful stuff. :-)

It really looks like Google Developers Console layout was just updated. It must have happened in the past couple weeks.

When I’ve got more time to modify this plugin, those outdated screenshots will be updated, and I’ll try to make better instructions where the find the “View ID”.

#10 2015-08-29 06:33:32

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Great Petri!

Thanks to maniqui for the updated help, too ;)

@Petri: is there a way to translate all the Google Analytics views? I would like to offer you a French translation.

I notice this behaviour:
Users with Managing Editor privs can’t access to all detailed analytic views (only simple reports). Can I change that?

Last edited by Pat64 (2015-08-29 13:42:12)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#11 2015-08-29 15:25:00

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

Pat64, thanks for offering your help. In some future version there’s going to be a possibility to choose language. But not quite yet… Changing language is partly implemented in the code. Before making it complete, I’d like to get rid of problems / bugs like the one you mentioned about Managing Editors privs. :-)

#12 2015-09-10 09:06:16

Destry
Website

I’ll be happy to stop using PiWik for this. Thanks Kuo!

Nothing against PiWik, but it requires having to keep up with frequent install updates for security, and I don’t, which annoys me, but it’s too much overhead for something I don’t use a lot.

Like Jakob said, GA’s own UI has become too complicated for most people, which is why I went to PiWik, but if your plugin extracts out the basics of web traffic patterns and such, it will be perfect for many Txp users, and an obvious choice if you don’t want to wrangle OS packages like PiWik.

Board footer