Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2015-08-25 21:47:00

Destry
Website

Re: Removing comments from core

I believe the “R” in Ruud’s profile stands for “Rocks!”

What made me think of this situation again was editing this page for new docs, notably the “Wrongly assumptive” entry I added today, and it’s footnotes under core feature caveats. All rather apt, I think.

#38 2015-09-04 11:58:43

moon blake

Re: Removing comments from core

Destry wrote #292954:

Commenting functionality should be an opt-in option, and when not opted for, there should be nothing visual in the UI about them.

hcgtv wrote #292983:

At no time have I advocated leaving current users without a home grown alternative, I’d just like to make it optional.

Sorry, I don’t get your point: Comment system is optional (in the preferences). And replacing it by a plug-in breaks existing sites. Nothing to discuss anymore, IMHO.

jakob wrote #292945:

Sure, there’s lots to love about Disqus – it has a neat UI, nice threading and comments on comments, single sign-in options, likes, social networking and revenue-generating features. But there are quite a few downsides for both site owners and site users:

Another downside Jakob did not mention is that Disqus often loads pretty slow, in my experience.

And the mentioned “time problem” of our few devs is another argument for not changing the comment system. We should focuse on more important things. I agree 100% to what Jakob wrote:

jakob wrote #292945:

I think a key benefit of the themes discussion of late, could be the possibility of perhaps making a family of different startup themes of different kinds. If they are well-designed (both visually and structurally in terms of understandable txp:tag structure), it would provide many points of entry for new users and highlight txp’s versatility. A series of community-written articles / blog posts that help people across the threshold of dabbling in the txp:tags to modify the site to their own needs (e.g. typical situations) would help make txp’s key quality more accessible to interested beginners.

Board footer