You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-07-28 10:03:55

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: serving images from sub-domain

gaekwad wrote #293778:

detail wrote #293775:

I did try just using http://cycletrailsaustralia.com/reports/imagebank/8.jpg as the address, I picked that up from Coda, ie, the ftp, and that works. Do you think that using that would be OK in the long term?

[…]

What do you think, it doesn’t really matter where else the images pop out from.

That URL will work, because your hosting sees the directory as just another place to host stuff – it’s the glue on the subdomain that’s a bit wonky.

On the subdomain, drop an index.html file in – does that show up in a browser?

Serving the static assets from a cookie-free subdomain will help overall – there’s a small overhead from the additional DNS check, but assets can be loaded in parallel to the www site things, too, which will speed things up.

Frankly, if you and your audience are in NZ and your server is many thousands of miles away in a heavily-populated data centre (hi, GoDaddy) that’s a long way to bounce stuff off and will make your sites unnecessarily slower to load. Investigate more local hosting – even a Digital Ocean instance in Singapore will be faster than the hot to Arizona and back.

Last edited by gaekwad (2015-07-28 10:04:47)

#14 2015-07-28 10:36:58

detail
Website

gaekwad wrote #293779:

On the subdomain, drop an index.html file in – does that show up in a browser?

No, it’s another 500 error.

I don’t think this is any big deal. I’m happy to use the quick and dirty approach, just as long as it doesn’t disable something else.

http://cycletrailsaustralia.com/reports/imagebank/8.jpg sounds like the same as a sub-domain anyway other than the cookies.

Frankly, if you and your audience are in NZ and your server is many thousands of miles away in a heavily-populated data centre (hi, GoDaddy) that’s a long way to bounce stuff off and will make your sites unnecessarily slower to load. Investigate more local hosting – even a Digital Ocean instance in Singapore will be faster than the hot to Arizona and back.

Nobody here has complained yet, I’m just doing it for my own vanity really and being able to leave it for a few years without having to fiddle around any more.

Always good to aim for perfection, but, well, none of it is a super crucial ecommerce site where someone will lose millions by not getting it totally zippy.

#15 2015-07-28 11:50:16

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I changed registrars for three of my domains a couple of weeks ago – from GoDaddy to Hover – and the whole thing took well under two hours to get everything up and running.

Board footer