Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-07-22 23:45:13

jrmartin
Website

Repeating Comments

This is driving me nuts. I’ve taken an older site and updated it to resemble the latest default. I’ve used all the newest forms, most verbatim. It’s all fine except for one thing. If there is a comment it is repeated three times. If there are no comments, there are three “Commenting is closed for this article.” strings. I’ve checked the forms. they seem ok. Diagnostics reports everything is fine. I know there isn’t much to go on here, but can anyone help?

Example with comment closed

Example of a post with a comment

Thanks for any help you can lend here.

james

#2 2015-07-23 01:59:43

maruchan
Website

Re: Repeating Comments

Hey James,

It looks like there are some problems with validation on this page. Can you see if you can fix those first? Maybe they’ll lead you to the problem—that’s happened to me before.

https://validator.w3.org/nu/

Marc

#3 2015-07-23 07:43:45

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Maybe this is your issue. Check ‘Automatically append comments to articles?’ is set to ‘no’.

Last edited by etc (2015-07-23 07:45:06)

#4 2015-07-23 16:03:05

jrmartin
Website

Ah, thank you, etc! The problem was indeed the append comments preference. Looks like the new template also has some built-in validation problems, also.

james

#5 2016-04-01 15:59:19

vwiswell

I had the same problem with comments and the append comments setting fixed it. I’m trying to understand how this works, though. On the rendered page it now shows

Comments

Commenting is closed for this article.

I have turned off comments for this particular article. My Admin preferences are set to

Comments on by default? No
Automatically append comments to articles? No

So where is the comments text coming from? I don’t see anything comment-related in the template. I want to change the styling, but how do I know which form is being used? I’m a little confused. This is only my third day using Textpattern, so please be patient.

Thanks.

Virginia

#6 2016-04-01 20:07:10

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Hello Virginia, welcome to txp and the forum.

You will find all comments presentation stuff at Presentation/Forms admin tab, Comment pane. Individual comments are processed through comments form, and the whole list through comments_display (by default).

There probably is something comments-related (comments invite/count/status) also in your default Article form (same tab), just make a search. Those are mere defaults, you can modify whatever you want with Textpattern.

Don’t hesitate to come back to the forum any time.

#7 2016-04-01 20:24:54

vwiswell

That was exactly it, etc! I didn’t look in the article form. Thanks for your help!

Virginia

#8 2016-04-01 20:53:50

uli

Virginia, I’ve two plugins linked in my forum signature that can help you immensely in finding what is what and where it’s used: smd_where_used (performs searches in the main tables of Textpatterns database) and adi_form_links: The latter creates links from page A (or form B) to all forms referenced by Textpattern tags in that page or form, respectively. You can set it to display a link list in its options page so all form references are always visible and just a single mouse click away.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer