Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-07-09 10:07:51

Destry
Website

[moot] article word counts, front-side tag

There are a couple of plugins that provide word counts, wet and Bloke both have one, which I like and always install. As well many writing applications (iA Writer is one of my favorites) employs word counts to aid with the drafting/editing process.

I think this data is important and warrants being core, but I’m fine with a plugin if need be. I also think the data warrants a more prominent position in the Write panel, like at top instead of bottom and I’d probably construct an admin-side theme that included that for collaborative writing sites like CSF (when admin templates are stable to some new degree).

But my real question is with how to put the data on the front-side too. Publishers often put word counts (and reading times) on the front-side of sites to help with making better reading experiences, or help people decided whether to dive in or bookmark for later. Whatever.

Could these plugins be modified to provide a front-side tag, or could that be a core tag, say <txp:wordcount field="body" />. Maybe the attributes help target future custom fields too in case someone conceives of one with lengthy text they want to measure.

#2 2015-07-09 11:02:53

uli

Re: [moot] article word counts, front-side tag

Destry wrote #292949:

But my real question is with how to put the data on the front-side too.

There’s a relative new plugin with word count and estimated reading time: pat_reading_time.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2015-07-09 11:10:05

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #292949:

the data warrants a more prominent position in the Write panel, like at top instead of bottom

smd_article_stats allows you to put it where you like (look in prefs). I usually put mine under the Create New button: first thing you see, before the status / section / category stuff.

You can also configure it to tot up any fields you like, not just excerpt + body. Custom fields? No problem (at least under 4.5.x… unlimited custom fields might be more of a challenge).

how to put the data on the front-side too.

smd_article_stats has a tag for that :-)

There was a feature request by Pat64 on the plugin’s forum thread to add the “how long it’ll take you to read this” thing (like I’ve done on my personal blog) based on a setting in prefs for “average words consumed per minute”. The pref’s necessary depending on the density of material the site offers (technical journal vs a blog about cats have very different audiences and comprehension levels). Didn’t get round to adding that, but it’s pretty easy so I’ll do it one day.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2015-07-09 11:17:39

Destry
Website

Okay, thanks both.

Keeping up with plugins is even more difficult than keeping up with forum conversations. ;)

Board footer