Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-07-09 06:28:38

candyman

Tabula rasa option

I know that could be annoying for a developer to read about suggestions and ideas from unskilled people: thinking (or dreaming) is easy to do, realizing ideas takes hours of hard work and many coffees. Anyway, it seems that the latest fashion trend is to keep TXP skinny and eliminate all unnecessary features. So I thought that a “tabula rasa” option could be interesting to be placed in the core: simply a button to eliminate all the unnecessary things (default name categories, example posts, example comments) and (maybe in the future) even some features (like comments or internal search engine). A way to customize TXP before starting to use it (maybe it could be offered as an option during the install process).

In other words, I’m asking if could be interesting to place sed_cleaner or arg_empty_canvas directly in the core.

What do you think?

#2 2015-07-09 07:12:32

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Tabula rasa option

This could be possible with the planned ‘themes’ feature (i.e., no theme), it’s already been discussed as part of that.

#3 2015-07-09 07:41:36

makss
Plugin Author
Website

Perhaps Minimal installation option in setup.php? For advanced users. Not install any default forms/css/pages/categories/section/Custom fields. Disable comments, maybe something else. The first thing I have to do after installation of Textpattern – is to remove all of it.

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#4 2015-07-09 09:06:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

As Phil hinted, when Themes hits core, we were planning to build a “public theme” select option in the setup routine. It would read any themes you dropped into the new /themes directory so you could pick from the list to have it install them instead of the default.

That way you could roll your own installation by just creating a theme and bundling it with your Txp upload and running setup. But it’s only a sketchy plan right now as it may rely on some refactorisation of the setup routine, which is non-trivial in its current incarnation.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2015-07-09 09:47:41

jakob
Admin
Website

I like that idea. Perhaps that’s also combinable with the “family of alternative themes” idea to demonstrate txp’s versatility I mentioned in the final paragraphs of this post.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer