Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-03-10 16:54:54

candyman

EU Cookie Law Info Plugin

It would be very useful a plugin that, using implied consent, could add a subtle banner (or similar) to a TXP website (either in the header or footer) to show the compliance status regarding the new EU Cookie Law.

I know I can add this with HTML: look at that interesting tip by Jukka but a plugin like that (for Wordpress) would be magic, and, i guess, very popular among unskilled people (like me).

Actually we had this but it does only a check, not styling/graphic and not 100% safe on detecting EU countries visitors: I need that the banner appear for all visitors (even outside EU) to be safer.

If I remember well, that thing will be in 4.6 core (default theme by philwareham), won’t be?

Don’t using cookies like Google Analytics could be interesting but what about the cookies used by TXP itself (to login, for example)? :|

p.s.: Other plugins for WP

Last edited by candyman (2015-03-10 17:13:30)

#2 2015-03-10 23:58:08

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: EU Cookie Law Info Plugin

I’ve used spf_if_eu for this before along with spiffin’s fork of cprompt.js and that handles the banner message display admirably. I also added an opt-out in the cookie-policy page by detecting the presence of the cookie that prompt uses.

what about the cookies used by TXP itself (to login, for example)?

The login cookie is not relevant for normal visitors as it won’t be present. Only for those actual users.

using cookies like Google Analytics could be interesting

Also in Germany, you’ll need to anonymize your google analytics code.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2015-03-11 07:38:07

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

You probably don’t need the cookie disclaimer for Textpattern’s own cookies because that is a controlled group of users. You can provide a note about those cookies in any terms or documentation you supply those users.

What other cookies do you have? If it’s Google Analytics only then consider where you really need GA on the site. From experience, unless a client uses Google Adwords, most I’ve set it up for in the past have never even logged into it ever. So now I don’t add it as routine.

#4 2015-05-27 11:57:07

candyman

jakob wrote #291097:

Doesn’t OpenStreetMap also use cookies in a similar manner to google maps? I don’t think that you can decide as the web admin what’s a “good cookie” or a “bad cookie”.

I’ve read this:

“For those of you in the European Union, another key advantage is that it conforms to the controversial EU Cookie Law, so if GA is the only reason you’re currently displaying a cookie notice, switching to Piwik means you probably won’t have to (disclaimer: this is an extremely grey area, so you should probably do the necessary research and consult a lawyer locally)”

here, and it seems that, at least in Italy, Piwik doesn’t need any extra advice apart the obvious banner.

jakob wrote #291097:

You can only provide a cookie policy page explaining how/ what you use cookies for, and which embedded external services use cookies with the option to opt-out. If the user opts-out, you remove your tracking code and replace embedded video or document viewers with a link to the respective site where the user can decide again if they want to be tracked or not. In txp you can do that with something like chs_cookie which you store as a variable. You can then output the code differently depending on the output of txp:if_variable.

Very interesting the ancient chs_cookie: unfortunately ins’t possible to download it anymore. Can give me a link where can I download it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by candyman (2015-05-27 12:00:02)

#5 2015-05-27 12:22:11

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

candyman wrote #291111:

Very interesting the ancient chs_cookie: unfortunately ins’t possible to download it anymore. Can give me a link where can I download it? Thanks in advance.

www.kuopassa.com/weblog/file_download/10/chs_cookie.txt

#6 2015-05-27 12:31:27

candyman

Many thanks :)

p.s.: with 4.5.7 the info page is not correctly formatted.

Board footer