Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-05-12 06:52:03

Destry
Website

Re: [resolved] DNS forwarding help

Since you asked, bici…

I originally tried using Gandi’s DNS panel for this site, but they made the DNS functions so limited as to be useless, to say nothing of utter confusing UI design, and when I tried to get help on it, they just talked to me like I was an idiot. I’m not very impressed with Gandi, in fact. But they do seem like a necessary asshole, which is funny, considering their slogan.

It’s because of that bad experience with Gandi that I went with DNS Made Easy (DNSME). They are pros, and their DNS tools are very good and well-designed, with no restrictions (though designed with safeguards in place. Smart). They are well worth the cost if you need special DNS handling. Their help support is also patient and polite, if but minimal at times. If you don’t know much about DNS handling, like I don’t, you’re going to flounder a bit no matter how good a service is. Like in this case.

I created my DNSME account before hopping on Kaizen Garden. As it turns out, Kaizen Garden’s PowerAdmin provides excellent DNS handling tools. Now that the new.tld is online (using KG’s DNS) and I’m fading the old.tld out, I will be going with KG tools solely in the future and dropping DNSME once I’ve given it enough time for the 301’s to sink in with search engines.

My only worry now is the future of KG. It has the potential to be something good, but Jacques’ national status as a South African trying to setup an online business with infrastructure in the US seems to be a legal barrier that’s insurmountable. And without money (which people are lined up to give, but can’t because there’s no legal channel to do it) nothing can get anywhere. I’m doing what little I can by contributing to KG docs. I have a green light to write for the website too, but without a functioning business plan, it’s kind of pointless at the moment. A decent KG logo would be helpful for marketing reasons too, if anyone wants to step up.

Board footer