Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2015-05-03 08:36:53

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Re: Wordpress/Textpattern mention

Hi

I red all the comments and want to add my 2 cents.

I run a webdesign agency and work only with Textpattern, a lot of website i make are business website and i find textpattern simple and easy to use even for end users, i only need 2 hours to explain how to add articles and images.

I dont see what features is needed in txp to make it better! i allways found workaround for the limitations of txp.

if something is missing then code it!

For the long term, open source project needs money to support the development and that s the challenge that txp must win: attract companies or group of companies to give money and create an organisation (even a little) that can handle the futur of txp.

Cheers and thanks to all dev for their hard work.

#26 2015-05-03 09:01:25

jpdupont

To answer Dragonz, I do not throw stones at developers whom I thank for the tremendous work done.

They must also live, earn money, take time.

But the reality is what it is:

• Uncertainty about the product’s evolution
  • Plugins essential related to the goodwill of their creator
  • Back Office overtaken by competitors

A little easier to say “If something is missing, code it”. Not the right way to attract new users, I think.

Last edited by jpdupont (2015-05-03 09:04:30)

#27 2015-05-03 10:47:51

jonathantxp

bici wrote #290389:

p.s i have not been able to install the theme. i may be dumb but there is no easy read.me with some instructions.

Hi there, I actually also had some trouble. The developer is friendly and helped me on Twitter @txptalk. Perhaps you need to back-up your posts or database (MySQL) first. The next step is to install the arc_meta plug-in . Copy the (text) file contents of the plug-in and paste them in the field Admin > Plug-ins. Afterwards, activate the plug-in on the same page by clicking on “no” (so that it turns to Active? > yes). The other plug-in to import the theme did not work for me, but it appears not to be required.

The hard part is copying all the files from the GitHub zip (view them in OS X with TextWrangler or Notepad++ in Windows). You need to create an awful lot of forms (having the same name and correct type as given in the file names) in the menu Presentation > Forms. Also, you need to create a CSS (not named default but txp-starter-blog) in Styles and also just one page in Page. Apparently, this page template works for every type of page, even static ones (which you can activate by selecting Override form > textpattern-starter-page-default in the article sidebar).

Also, you may read the documentation on the official website (no installation instructions).

It seems TXPtalk is prepping another theme already (TXP flat)… Maybe this theme developer could be invaluable to the project?

#28 2015-05-03 13:05:45

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

My first post (in french) in 2008 :
TXP, cms en fin de vie ?

Bloke, Philwareham,

I think TXP is used mainly by amateurs or Freelancers. And in this circle of users, the developers Php are becoming increasingly rare. But there are some Php developers in the community, perhaps It would be enough to call them in for help.

Some ideas:

1- A official call for contributions from the Textpattern blog.
2- Perhaps it would be interresting to sort the issues provided from the Millestone 4.6 and highlight those that do not require expert knowledge, to launch a call for contributions on it initially, to allow for new contributors to contribute softly. Build confidence.
3- Reduce the number of issues in ‘Millestone 4.6’ and move to ‘4.7’ for shorten the release of 4.6?

Last edited by sacripant (2015-05-03 13:06:17)

#29 2015-05-03 14:40:19

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

jpdupont wrote #290397:

To answer Dragonz, I do not throw stones at developers whom I thank for the tremendous work done.

They must also live, earn money, take time.

But the reality is what it is:

• Uncertainty about the product’s evolution
  • Plugins essential related to the goodwill of their creator
  • Back Office overtaken by competitors

A little easier to say “If something is missing, code it”. Not the right way to attract new users, I think.

Hi JP

My post is not related to you directly, and for the sentence “if something is missing code it” is related to me and my manner to work with txp.

I am an average coder not good enough to call myself a dev, i mainly copy/past shunk of code found here and there to make things working, and like i said before i dont know what feature txp needs to be better then i cant give advice or direction where to go!

Cheers.

#30 2015-05-03 16:11:04

uli

sacripant wrote #290401:

official call for contributions from the Textpattern blog.

Brilliant idea :)

Although you devs invite coders quite often via the forum, blog invitations have an official complexion and won’t drown so easily as those from here.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#31 2015-05-03 17:00:43

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

there are actually some great coders here that you guys could pull in the team too. Having said that, all your work is appreciated as I fully understand time limitations on a non-profit project.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#32 2015-05-04 02:42:06

bici
Website Mastodon

I am getting near the end of my web career, but i still wish to see Textpattern proceed to the next level. It seems to me that for a variety of reasons it would be best to have some new younger coders added to the roster of the present Core group.

How that can best be achieved I leave it to the developers as they would know best.

I am and have been gladdened by the excellent work on the UI side of things by Phil Wareham, and the latest by TxpTalk (not sure of his name) …this bodes well for the TxP platform!

I am also looking forward to what the core developers will be producing for the next version of TxP.

…. texted postive

Board footer