Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-02-01 19:21:26

mistersugar
Website

Guidance for decommissioning a Txp site but keeping archives online?

Hi, all.

I’ve spent the last year on a social media and blogging sabbatical. I was an early blogger, but for many reasons I needed to step away from the Web to focus on my health, my family and my day job. It’s been a great year — I ran the Honolulu Marathon in December, among other non-blogged highlights. Now I’m starting to think about how I might reenter online activity. Here’s where I could use your advice.

1. zuiker.com was my original website and blog.
  2. In 2004, I moved to mistersugar.com and began using Textpattern. (Aside: I was just cleaning out a box of old files, and I found a Textism card with handwritten note from Dean circa summer 2004.) That’s where I blogged for the next 10 years. On social media, I used mistersugar as my nickname.
  3. I’m in a new phase of life, and I’d like to return to zuiker.com and using my name as my identity.
  4. I’d like to freeze mistersugar.com. I only recently was able to clean out my server and stop the hack that used my site for pharma links. So I’m thinking that I should convert my blog to html files and delete Textpattern. I’m proud of what I wrote all those years on my Txp blog on my own site with my own brand. If only for me, I’d like to keep it online. Any guidance or advice for decommissioning Textpattern but keeping the posts archived and viewable?
  5. At some point this year, I’ll redesign zuiker.com, keep Textpattern on that site, and blog there.

Thanks for any thoughts.

btw, this New Yorker article about Archive.org and the Wayback Machine was really good.

Last edited by mistersugar (2015-02-01 19:23:28)

#2 2015-02-01 23:25:12

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Guidance for decommissioning a Txp site but keeping archives online?

Maybe visit your site with a website downloader program like sitesucker for the mac or HTtrack for windows. That should trawl your site and make HTML copies of that that you can then clean up a bit and re-upload. I don’t use those kinds of programs very often, so there may better ones out there. Usually those programs will name your files and create links between them automatically.

You’ll lose your search function, but you could perhaps replace it with a new google-search widget (like that used on this forum) on your new HTML pages but otherwise would have a record. My guess is that your category pages and date archives will be preserved as own pages of their own. They won’t be dynamic but they will be present with the last available state.

If you want to preserve your google links, you may need to add some rewrite rules to your .htaccess file to redirect the non .html pages to the new .html pages.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2015-02-02 13:49:31

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

+1 to the sitesucker idea. You could make it easier by building a single page with a big list of links to your articles (plus comments, where appropriate) and point a URL sucker at it. It should scoop up the files from said links, saving them to your computer. Rename the whole lot to .html and you’re done.

If you’re inclined to a have a static site, something like Jekyll might be worth looking into.

#4 2015-02-27 21:41:24

mistersugar
Website

Thanks for the suggestions, and sorry for the silence. Been a busy few weeks. And I realize that the search function in Txp is crucial to me, as I’m always searching my archives for an old post. I’ve thought about converting to a Jekyll site on Github Pages, but really the best for me (at my level of technical knowledge) is to keep my blog in Txp and just keep it updated.

Board footer