Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-02-22 02:57:10

Derekstaff

live and development installations of txp on the same server?

I initially installed Textpattern in a subdirectory of my client’s domain on the server, so I could develop the site on the server while their earlier version of the website was still live. I since finished the first stage of development, and copied the installation to the root directory as suggested in the Textpattern documentation. I had intended to keep the subdirectory installation, with all the original settings, in order to continue to work on further iterations before making the changes to the “live,” root installation. Is this possible, or will it somehow interfere with the root installation?

#2 2015-02-22 06:14:55

milosevic

Re: live and development installations of txp on the same server?

If I where you I would work in a subdomain rather than a folder on the main domain. dev.your-client-site.com or something like.
You can block the subdomain for search engines with a robots.txt and work there on your next iterations of the main site.

<txp:rocks/>

#3 2015-02-22 15:25:46

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

milosevic wrote #288500:

You can block the subdomain for search engines with a robots.txt […].

Just to add my 2c to this – use .htaccess to block everyone but you accessing it. Some search engines respect robots.txt rules, others don’t. If you use .htaccess and configure the blocking correctly, this is a safer approach. Anyone visiting who isn’t you (search engines, robots, real people) will be thrown a 403 error instead.

There are plenty of code snippets on Stack Overflow, and also around here, that will achieve this.

#4 2015-02-23 17:07:54

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Remember that the two installations will need to use different databases or at least database table prefixes.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

Board footer